Browse 1,200+ courses with a wide range of study options from online courses to diploma qualifications, training and full-time education. Learn more
A variety of scholarship opportunities are available for different areas of study, across the state. Learn more
View our news, press releases, videos, announcements and publications about TAFE NSW. Learn more
A change is like a holiday... Or is it time to make a change during the holidays?
It's the end of another long year and the country is moving into shutdown mode. What are some ways you can make the most of your precious holiday time?
1. Get an internship: Real-world experience looks great on a CV, and with so many staff taking leave you may find businesses are more than happy for you to get some work experience by helping them out.
2. Volunteer: Strange as it seems, spending a couple of weeks building huts in Africa can be just as refreshing as lounging by a resort pool. Check out the amazing work TAFE Illawarra Head Teacher Troy Everett has done in Bangladesh (he is set to take a group of students for another epic volunteer adventure to Nepal in April, 2016)!
3. Get a jump on next year's work or study: If you can get some unpleasant tasks out of the way over the holidays – whether it's sorting out the bookkeeping or reading the textbooks for the courses you're doing in 2016 – that's one less thing you'll need to worry about later on.
4. Pursue an interest: Ever wanted to master a musical instrument or take up flower arranging? You'll be amazed how much progress you can make in a couple of weeks if you focus.
5. Take a holiday job: Lots of industries, particularly retail, take on casual workers around Christmas.
6. Travel: Sure, it's peak season, but you should have a few weeks to take the kind of long trip that may not be possible at any other time of the year.
7. Get organised: Clean up your desk, reorganise your filing cabinet and spring clean your house. You'll be amazed at how good it feels to lose the clutter.
8. Catch up with friends and family: We're all busy, but with most of the country in holiday mode, now is a rare window of opportunity to reconnect with loved ones.
9. Read and see: Read all those books you've been meaning to read and see all those films you've been meaning to see.
10. Do something you've never done before: Whether it's bungy jumping or volunteering at a soup kitchen, it will make your holiday truly memorable.
11. Check out the local neighbourhood: The festive season is a good time to take a leisurely stroll and see what has and hasn't changed in your local area.
12. Relax and recuperate: Hey, you've studied and/or worked hard all year. There's no shame in using your holiday time to kick back and recharge.
The silly season is also a great time to take stock of your professional life and consider career change. Check out TAFE NSW - we have courses to help set you on the path to your dream job.