Certificate I in Spoken and Written English
National Course Code: 10727NAT
Practice your English speaking, listening, reading and writing with the nationally accredited Certificate I in Spoken and Written English. You will learn how to use basic English in many settings to improve your communication skills.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through your practical course work, you will learn:
- Short simple social conversations
- Short simple spoken transactions
- To read and write simple personal information
- To read and write simple social texts
- To read and write simple transactional texts
- To improve your learning skills
- To use technology to learn English
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop other personal qualities while completing this course:
- Gain more confidence when using English
- Feel comfortable using English in social situations
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will provide you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate I level
GROW YOUR CAREER
This course will improve your English Language skills and may allow you to enrol into Certificate II courses.
If you already have a job, this course can improve how you communicate with your colleagues.
In general, employers in Australia require their workers to have intermediate English language skills. No matter what industry you choose to work in, improved English language skills will help you grow your career.
If you are interested in the Adult Migrant English Program, phone 1800 114 707 to find out if you are eligible or visit tafensw.edu.au/amep to find an AMEP campus near you.
This course is currently available at 49 campus locations across NSW and online. Enquire now for other locations.
People who are successful in this course have:
- Elementary English language skills
- A need to improve your English language skills
- An interest in learning new things
Assessments are completed with your teacher and you will be tested on the following English skills:
- Learning - study skills
At this level you will study basic English for use in everyday conversations.
Once you complete the Certificate I, you can continue to improve your English language skills by enrolling in a Certificate II course.
You will gain basic skills to use in social situations in your community and workplace, including:
You will be able to use day-to-day experiences such as going to the shops, visiting a doctor and being involved in the community to build your English language skills.
- You will learn English in a classroom on campus with a teacher
- If you are an eligible AMEP student (studying by distance), you will join your teacher online from home, your local library or your local community centre
Note: If you are not eligible for AMEP distance learning, you must attend class in person.
Improving your English language skills will improve your opportunities to communicate with employers, services, friends and your local community.
The Certificate I course is particularly helpful for parents who have young children, for those who want to continue studying and those who are looking to start their career.