Statement of Attainment in Implant Microchip in Cats and Dogs
Course Code: 900-81576V01
The nationally accredited Implant Microchip in Cats and Dogs course equips you with the skills to microchip a range of cats, dogs and other animals. Hone your skills under supervision of industry professionals and meet the growing demands of animal management.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theoretical and practical course work, you will learn to:
- Assess animal temperament and health
- Implant microchips in cats and dogs
- Safely handle and restrain a variety of animals
- Comply with microchip regulations
- Fulfil client confidentiality procedures
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal attributes that will help you get ahead:
- Great communication skills
- The ability to work under pressure
- Excellent attention to detail
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will provide you with:
- Eligibility to apply for a Microchip Identifier Licence
- Strong pathways to expand your career opportunities
GROW YOUR CAREER
Completing this course will provide you with the skills to microchip cats and dogs in a variety of animal industries.
The animal care industry is growing in demand, particularly around animal management. Microchipping is fast becoming a job requirement for people working as council rangers, veterinary nurses and animal attendants. This course will help you meet the growing animal management requirements across a variety of animal care industries.
This course is currently available at 1 campus location across NSW. Enquire now for other locations.
People who are successful in this industry are:
- Compassionate towards animals
- Calm and empathetic by nature
- Able comfortable giving needles
- Capable of working under pressure
- Collaborative team players
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned and to identify the knowledge or skills that may need further development. In this course you will undertake:
- Written assessments: short answer questions
- Practical assessments: microchipping ten live animals under supervision.
The ten animals must consist of at least three cats (one conscious), and three dogs (one conscious). The remaining four animals may be at your discretion.
The Implant Microchip in Cats and Dogs is a skill set designed explicitly for the animal industry. You can use this skill set to compliment your career within an animal shelter, local council pound, veterinary practice, or animal welfare organisation.
You can also enrol in this skill set to compliment your Animal Studies, Companion Animals, or Veterinary Nursing qualification. It is also suitable for cat or dog breeders who would like to learn to microchip their own litters.
You will gain hands-on experience in:
- Handling cats and dogs
- Cleaning and preparing implantation sites
- Scanning microchips
- Ensuring records and documents are compliant
- Completing documentation relating to animal identification
- Using PPE
- Disposing of sharp needles used to microchip
TAFE NSW is known for delivering theory along with practical, hands-on learning. You will work on real world projects, such as:
- Implanting a variety of cats and dogs, all of varying ages ranges
- Ensuring animals are not already microchipped
- Liaising with clients and explaining the microchip procedure
- Confirming successful implantations with a scanner
- Forwarding required documents to relevant animal registries
TAFE NSW offers you a range of online and on campus study environments - industry specific computer rooms, simulated workplaces, study areas, presentation areas and general student facilities - to enhance your learning and employability.
You will have access to animal mannequins, models and stuffed toys. Microchipping of live animals will occur in the students own workplace or work placement location which is typically at animal shelters, animal pounds, welfare organizations and veterinary clinics.
Those who complete this skill set, generally work in these occupational roles:
- Veterinary Nurse
- Animal Attendant
- Council Rangers
- Pound or Rescue Worker
- Cat or Dog Breeder
This course was developed in partnership with industry professionals in response to a demand for a microchipping skill set. This course will support you in gaining industry relevant experience with practical animal handling and ongoing documentation, whilst giving you tools to contribute compliant skills to the animal industry.