Certificate II in Aviation (Flight Operations-Cargo Services)
National Course Code: AVI20116
Take the nationally recognised Certificate II in Aviation (Flight Operations and Cargo Services) to launch your career as a loadmaster or cargo services operator in baggage or flight dispatch operations. Get set for your career to soar as you work with aircrafts as part of a team.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theoretical and practical course work, you will learn to:
- Apply aircraft safety, quality and WHS procedures
- Implement fatigue risk management practices
- Maintain security awareness and vigilance
- Operate firefighting equipment
- Follow security procedures when working with passengers and personnel
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal qualities needed to be successful in this field:
- Great communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills
- Adaptability to work varied hours and in different working environments
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to meet competing priorities
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Complete this course to gain a:
- Nationally recognised Certificate II level qualification
- Solid foundation to continue your aviation studies
- Cargo services operator or loadmaster
- Flight dispatch operations
- Ground and RAMP operations
GROW YOUR CAREER
Study the Certificate II in Aviation (Flight Operations and Cargo Services) course as part of a dual qualification,
- Certificate III in Aviation (Ground Operations and Services) or
- Certificate III in Aviation (Cabin Crew)
Then, take your career further:
- Certificate III in Aviation (Ground Operations and Services)
- Certificate IV in Aviation (Aviation Supervision)
Solid growth in international passenger numbers is expected to be a greater driver of demand over the short term than domestic travel, while in the long-term the opening of Western Sydney Airport in 2026 will facilitate an increase in flight movements.
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
People who are successful in this industry are:
- Great communicators with strong interpersonal skills
- Motivated to work in customer oriented roles
- Adaptable - this role involves varied hours, indoor and outdoor working environments and a broad range of workplace procedures
- Great organisers to manage competing priorities
- Able to manage interruptions and meet demands on high volumes of work
- Active and love working as part of a team
- Methodical in their approach to time management
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned and to identify the knowledge or skills that may need further development. In this course you will undertake:
- Knowledge assessments: short answer and multiple choice
- Skills assessments: practical demonstrations
This Certificate II level course equips you with the skills to work in baggage, cargo and ground operations at airports. You will be qualified to work in entry level roles in the aviation industry.
The Certificate III in Aviation (Ground Operations and Services) builds on your skills and youll practice at a higher level, becoming qualified for employment in any area of an airport.
The Certificate IV in Aviation (Aviation Supervision) refines your previous experience in ground operations and develops your skills in performing more strategic tasks and leading teams.
Depending on your campus location and local partnerships with TAFE NSW, you may have the opportunity to participate in excursions that take you behind the scenes in the aviation industry.
Depending on your electives selection, you will gain hands-on experience in:
- Using and maintaining mechanical equipment
- Emergency and evacuation procedures
- Managing dangerous, toxic and explosive freight safely
- Using aviation communications and other technology
- Implementing security procedures
TAFE NSW is known for delivering theory along with practical, hands-on learning. You will work on real world projects, such as:
- Managing a baggage tug operation in a simulated environment
- Managing check-in and boarding for passengers with specialised needs
- Managing check-in and boarding for disruptive passengers
TAFE NSW offers you a range of online and on-campus study environments - industry specific computer rooms, simulated workplaces, study areas, presentation areas and general student facilities - to enhance your learning and employability.
At the TAFE NSW Wollongbar and Kingscliff campuses you will learn in simulated outdoor airport areas that replicate all areas of an aviation environment, including:
- Aircraft pods - first class and economy seating
- Safety equipment and breathing apparatus
- Baggage cart and tug
- Oxygen and smoke machines
- Public announcement system
You will have access to a simulated aircraft cabin, airport security screening and the check-in and departure lounges. Resources for each environment are provided to aid realistic learning and are also used to facilitate practical activities and assessments.
The rapid and ongoing expansion in global passenger travel means you are joining a growing industry. The International Air Transport Association (IATA) states that over the next 20 years, passenger numbers are anticipated to double from the levels we see today. Any increase in passengers has a growth impact on all roles in the aviation industry.
This course qualifies you for todays industry and prepares you for the industry of tomorrow in a high demand role. All course content relates to current industry practices but is also flexible by design to accommodate continuous change in this dynamic industry.
This course is superseded