Certificate II in Transport Security Protection (Domestic Airport Screening Officer)
National Course Code: AVI20118
The nationally accredited Certificate II in Transport Security Protection is the mandatory qualification you need to join the dynamic transport security sector. In this hands-on course, you will learn to identify and prevent potential security risks and keep domestic and international airports and maritime vessels protected.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theoretical and practical course work, you will learn to:
- Conduct frisk searches
- Security screen using different methods
- Use a variety of security tools
- Identify and understand dangerous goods
- Undertake searches of cargo and articles
- Work effectively in a security environment
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal attributes that will help you get ahead:
- The ability to work under pressure
- Good communication skills
- An analytical mind
- The ability to follow rules and procedures
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will provide you with:
- The qualification you need to work in transport security protection
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate II level
- A strong pathways to continue your studies and enhance your career opportunities
- Domestic airport screening officer
GROW YOUR CAREER
Study further electives in order to secure employment as an:
- Air cargo examination officer
- International airport screening officer
- Maritime screening officer
- Security access point officer, including gate inspections
The Australian Government mandates all workers in the security sector need to complete the Certificate II in Transport Security Protection. This course provides you with the knowledge and tools you need to have a successful career, while meeting government regulatory requirements.
This course is currently available at 1 campus location across NSW. Enquire now for other locations.
People who are successful in this industry have:
- Good communication skills
- The ability to work in a team
- The ability to work in high pressure situations
- An empathetic yet firm nature
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned and to identify the knowledge or skills that may need further development. In this course you will undertake:
- Written assessments which include multiple choice and short answer questions
- Practical assessments which include skills assessments that mirroring real world security situations
This course, the Certificate II in Transport Security Protection is only offered at a Certificate II level, as it is the official entry level needed to enter the industry. It is where youll gain all your technical and theoretical experience in the field. It provides real world exposure where youll apply what youre learning in simulated environments both in the field and in the classroom.
Depending on your career aspirations, you may complete extra elective units to gain competency in roles such as an International Airport Screening Officer, or a Maritime Screening Officer.
Depending on your campus location and local partnerships with TAFE NSW, you may have the opportunity to participate in excursions that take you behind the scenes in the Aviation and transport security industry.
You will gain hands-on experience in:
- Using a variety of security equipment
- Operating a live screening point
- Completing frisk procedures
- Loading customer bags and articles
- Inspections and searches of vehicles and cargo
TAFE NSW is known for delivering theory along with practical, hands-on learning. You will work on real-world projects in a simulated work environment.
- Operating a walk through metal detector
- Carrying out explosive trace detection tests
- Analysing X-Ray images
- Working a hand held metal detector
- Handling simulated dangerous goods
You will learn in TAFE NSW classrooms and train in state-of-the-art simulated purpose-built workshops that have the facilities, equipment, resources and tooling to replicate the conditions and pressures of a real workplace. Depending on your location, your classroom may be set up as an actual screening point where you can practice security tasks.
The mandatory regulations require you to have this qualification, along with a background check to work in security protection. This qualification may increase employability in the transport security industry, as you have the technical skills, knowledge and certification to excel. People in this field may work as airport screening officer, air cargo examination officer, international airport screening officer, or a maritime screening officer.
The Australian Government mandates all workers in the transport security sector have completed the Certificate II in Transport Security Protection. The successful completion of this course ensures you are able to gain meaningful employment in the transport security sector.