Diploma of Legal Services
National Course Code: BSB52215
The nationally recognised Diploma of Legal Services equips you with the skills to provide junior legal services in a law firm as a legal assistant or paralegal. Support clients and lawyers across various law streams, and gain a strong advantage if your dream is to study a law degree.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Research legal information using secondary sources
- Apply legal principles
- Identify and interpret compliance requirements
- Develop and nurture relationships
- Maintain and enhance professional practice
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Time management and organisation
- Calmness under pressure
- The ability to work alone and in a team
- Professional integrity
- An ethical mindset
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Diploma level
- Strong pathways to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Legal secretary
- Legal services support officer
- Legal assistant
- Practice assistant
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Statement of Attainment in Taxation and Law - Apply Legal Principles in Property Law
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
This course is currently available at 1 campus location across NSW. Enquire now for other locations.
People who are successful in this industry have:
- Have oral and written communication skills
- Have good time management and organisation skills
- Are resilient and able to deal with pressure
- Can work autonomously and in a team
- Professional integrity and understand ethics
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned and to identify the knowledge or skills that may need further development. In this course you will undertake:
- Knowledge assessments: short answer, extended response, research tasks
- Practical skills assessments: demonstrations under observation
- Simulated workplace projects: scenario-based problem solving and role plays
- Begin your study with a Certificate III in Business Administration (Legal) andgain the foundational skills and knowledge you need to work in legal administration
- Expand your core capabilities and develop an understanding of legal principles with a Certificate IV in Legal Services, and learn to research legal information, and apply the legal framework
- Advance your existing skills and knowledge with the Diploma of Legal Services, and learn to apply legal principles in specific matters like family law, criminal law or property law
Depending on your campus location and local partnerships with TAFE NSW, you may have the opportunity to participate in a court excursion and go behind the scenes in the legal services industry.
You will gain hands-on experience in:
- Using online legal databases like AustLII
- Using and creating extensive legal filing systems
- Communicating complex legal concepts
TAFE NSW is known for delivering up-to-date theory along with relevant, in-demand skills to ensure you are job ready.
In this course you will work on real-world projects, in simulated TAFE NSW environments, such as:
- Researching, identifying and interpreting legislation
- Examining real case law and legal precedents
CAMPUS FACILITIES AND SUPPORT
You will have access to industry specific computer rooms, studios, study and presentation areas, as well as the general student facilities available at most TAFE NSW campuses.
Student facilities, amenities and support services include:
- TAFE NSW Disability Support Service
- TAFE NSW Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) support
- TAFE NSW Aboriginal Support; Learner support (ABE)
- TAFE NSW Careers, Counselling and Pathways Service
- Smarthinking - online access to a tutor
Legal support jobs are evolving to include high-value tasks such as researching and compiling data for court cases, law office procedures and technology, as well as traditional secretarial duties. Demand is also expected to increase for hybrid or blended paralegal/legal secretaries as organisations look to streamline legal support functions and improve efficiency. All of this makes now a great time to upskill with a Diploma of Legal Services at TAFE NSW.
The legal services industry has a unique connection to both the past and the future. While legal precedents can shape court rulings today, there is also a drive in the industry to break new ground, introduce new laws and reforms to make our society the best it can be.
The Diploma of Legal Services keeps pace with the changing world, technology and legal reforms. The subjects and case law you study is relevant and up-to-date, so you graduate with the knowledge and expertise industry expects.