Certificate IV in Community Services
National Course Code: CHC42015
The nationally recognised Certificate IV in Community Services helps you build a career as a community services worker in the fastest growing industry in Australia. Learn a broad range of skills in areas like alcohol and other drugs, child protection, juvenile justice, mental health and more, and help your clients achieve their goals.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Build caring and supportive relationships with people accessing services, their careers, and family members
- Engage in interventions
- Plan and conduct group activities
- Gain experience working within a community development strategic framework
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Resolve conflict and diffuse difficult situations
- Explore the issues and interests of different communities
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally accredited Certificate IV qualification that enables you to work across the community services sector
- The foundation to continue to higher training or a degree
- Community services worker
- Health education officer
- Domestic violence officer
- Family support worker
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Diploma of Community Services
- Diploma of Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Diploma of Mental Health
- Bachelor of Community Services with TAFE NSW Degrees
This course is currently available at 49 campus locations across NSW and online. Enquire now for other locations.
People who are successful in this industry:
- Enjoy helping people
- Like to work independently
- Are personable and can work collaboratively with others
- Have good organisation and time management skills
- Have patience and can be empathetic
- Have conflict resolution skills and are able diffuse difficult situations
- Understand the issues and interests of different communities
- Have good oral and written communication skills
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned so far and identify the areas that need further development. In this course you will undertake:
- Skills assessment: role play scenarios, presentations, practical, observation (including assessments in the workplace)
- Knowledge assessment: multiple choice, true or false, short answer questions
- Case study: case study scenarios, reflections
- Portfolio: samples of work in a workplace environment
- Project: report, research-based project, journal, essay
The Certificate III is entry level and provides a good foundation to learn about the sector. Job opportunities are limited for workers at this level however, and are usually junior roles under the direction of others.
The Certificate IV level provides you with the exposure, skills and knowledge to work autonomously across the sector. You may be required to supervise and lead other workers in projects or teams.
You may wish to go onto the Diploma, which will provide you with specialised skills in community services. From here, you will work autonomously as a case worker or case manager under broad direction from senior management. You can enrol in the Diploma directly without completing the Certificate IV, however, the Certificate IV cements your foundation knowledge and sets you up for success in the Diploma.
Your work placement provides you with important on-the-job experience where you will learn what goes on behind the scenes when caring for our community members.
You will gain hands-on experience in:
- Building caring and supportive relationships with people accessing services and their network
- Working with people at risk of, or experiencing, homelessness
- Contributing to the review and evaluation of organisational policies and procedures
- Working within organisational policy and procedures when handling records and documentatio
- Planning and conducting group activities
- Undertaking service planning, delivery and implementation
- Working within a strategic framework and applying these principles when goal setting and planning
- Engaging in interventions
- Gaining experience working within a community development framework
- Working with children and young people
- Identifying and prioritising the goals of your clients
- Making referrals to other appropriate services
- Engaging in critical analysis and reflection of your own practice
You will have the opportunity to develop your skills as a community worker through an innovative, virtual, simulated organisation called the Indigo Community Services and Health Hub. The Hub is where you will gain practical experience working with simulated clients who have real-world goals before starting your work placement.
Youll have access to industry specific computer rooms, studios, study areas, presentation areas and general student facilities available at most TAFE NSW campuses.
Your study will take place in three main environments:
- TAFE NSW campus classroom: you will be equipped with the knowledge needed to work within the community services sector
- Indigo Community Services and Health Hub: a custom designed, virtual, simulated organisation where you will develop practical skills
- Community organisation: your work placement hours provide an opportunity to refine your practical skills
The community services sector is thriving. In 2018 there were close to 1.7 million people employed in this sector. That number is projected to increase to over 1.9 million by 2023.
The Community Services and Health industries are the largest and fastest growing in Australia.
The Community Services sector offers opportunities in a number of areas including alcohol and other drugs, child protection, disability, family work, juvenile justice, mental health, social housing and youth. This course provides transferrable skills enabling you to work across the breadth of the sector.
Job prospects in the major cities are excellent and the same is true in rural and regional areas where there is particularly high demand for community workers. As a new graduate we encourage you to explore rural and regional areas to begin building your career.