Diploma of Community Services
National Course Code: CHC52015
The nationally recognised Diploma of Community Services will help you develop specialist skills for a rewarding community services career. Gain a solid foundation to build your leadership capability and prepare for roles in case work and management in this in-demand sector.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Develop, facilitate and review all aspects of case management
- Develop workplace communication strategies
- Provide case management supervision
- Provide systems advocacy services
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Resilience and empathy
- A non-judgemental nature
- Leadership and mentoring abilities
- Effective communication skills
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally accredited qualification at Diploma level
- A strong pathways to continue your studies and enhance your career opportunities
- Case worker/manager
- Community services worker
- Domestic and family violence worker
- Youth worker
- Family support worker
- Family services coordinator
- Program coordinator
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Diploma of Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Diploma of Youth Work
- Bachelor of Community Services with TAFE Degrees
This course is currently available at 29 campus locations across NSW and online. Enquire now for other locations.
People who are successful in this industryare:
- Resilient and empathetic
- Able to work with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned so far and identify the areas that need further development.
In this course you will undertake:
- Practical skills assessments including role play scenarios, presentations, and workplace observation
- Theory based knowledge assessments
- Case studies
- A workplace portfolio
- Written and research based projects
The Certificate II in Community Services is an introductory level qualification. It will teach you fundamental skills and strategies, and prepare you for work in the personal welfare services industry.
The Certificate III in Community Services provides you with a solid foundation for work in the industry. You will learn essential skills and knowledge, and put your learning into action with work placement. Job opportunities are limited for workers at this level.
The Certificate IV in Community Services provides you with the exposure, skills and knowledge to work across the sector. You will learn how to design and deliver programs that enhance the wellbeing of individuals and groups.
This course, the Diploma of Community Services, develops your specialised community service skills in community development, case management, assessment and referral, advocacy, counselling, group work and sociology.
From here, you will work autonomously as a case worker or case manager under broad direction from senior management.
You can enrol in the Diploma without completing the Certificate IV, however, the Certificate IV builds your foundational knowledge and prepares you for success in the Diploma.
The Bachelor of Community Services is a TAFE NSW undergraduate qualification. It takes your expertise to the next level, allowing you to choose a specialisation and develop your practical skills and knowledge with two work placements.
You will gain hands-on experience:
- Building caring and supportive relationships with people accessing services and their network
- Working within a case management framework
- Contributing to the review and evaluation of organisational policies and procedures
- Handling records and documentation in-line with organisational policy and procedures
- Undertaking service planning, delivery and implementation
- Working within a strategic framework and applying these principles when goal setting and planning
- Engaging in interventions
- Working with children and young people
- Identifying and prioritising the goals of your clients
- Making referrals to other appropriate services
- Engaging in critical analysis and reflection of your own practice
TAFE NSW is known for delivering up-to-date theory along with relevant, in-demand skills to ensure you are job ready.
You will develop your skills as a community worker through an innovative, virtual, simulated organisation called the Indigo Community Services and Health Hub.
Indigo is where you will gain practical experience working with simulated clients in real world scenarios before you start your work placement.
Youll have access to industry specific computer rooms, studios, study areas, presentation areas and general student facilities available at most TAFE NSW campuses.
Your study will take place in three main environments:
- A TAFE NSW campus classroom: you will be equipped with the knowledge needed to work within the community services sector
- The Indigo Community Services and Health Hub: a custom designed, virtual, simulated organisation where you will develop practical skills
- A community organisation: your work placement hours provide an opportunity to refine your practical skills
The personal welfare services industry in Australia is forecast to generate around $22.4 billion at an annual rate of 7.6% through to 2023/24.
Around 20% of the Australian population is reported to be living with a mental health issue, and more than 3 million others are living below the poverty line. These issues have increased demand for a broad range of welfare services in local communities across the country.
Government policies and spending on welfare services are helping meet this demand, and contributing to a positive employment outlook for welfare support and community workers. In fact, employment of welfare support workers in NSW is forecast to increase by around 12.6% (or 2,400 jobs) to over 21,360 jobs in 2024/25.
The community services sector offers career opportunities in a number of areas including alcohol and other drugs, child protection, disability, family work, juvenile justice, mental health, social housing and youth. This course provides transferrable skills enabling you to work across the breadth of the sector.
Showing 1 to 2 options of 2 for Diploma of Community Services
Showing 1 to 2 options of 2 for Diploma of Community Services