Certificate III in Fire Protection
National Course Code: CPC32813
The nationally recognised Certificate III in Fire Protection will equip you with the skills to start your career in fire protection. Safeguard residential, commercial and industrial properties through installing, testing and maintaining fire protection systems, and be in-demand in an area of skills shortage.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theoretical and practical course work, you will learn to:
- Fit domestic and residential safety sprinkler systems
- Test and maintain fire hydrant and hose reel systems
- Design pre-calculated fire sprinkler systems
- Work with small and large water services
- Install control valve systems
- Activate devices and local alarms and install special hazard systems
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal attributes that will help you get ahead:
- Effective communication
- An adaptable nature
- Collaboration skills
- Problem solving
- Self-management and delegation
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will provide you with:
- The eligibility to apply for your fire protection technician licence
- Skills and knowledge to start your own sole trader business
- Fire protection sprinkler fitter
- Fire systems technician
GROW YOUR CAREER
Advance your career with these further specialist study options:
- Certificate IV in Plumbing and Services
- Diploma of Hydraulic Service Design
According to IBIS World, over the past five years the Fire Protection Services industry has been supported by strong demand from the building market and unprecedented investment in high rise apartments. With demand in the Building and Construction industry forecast to increase over the next five years, qualified fire protection technicians will be in continued demand.
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
This course is currently available at 1 campus location across NSW. Enquire now for other locations.
People who are successful in this industry have:
- A love for working both indoors and outdoors
- An excellent work ethic
- Effective communication
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Practical aptitude
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned and to identify the knowledge or skills that may need further development. In this course you will undertake:
- Written assessments which include written or computer based knowledge assessments and project assignments
- Practical assessments which include workshop based skills assessments
If youre studying as an apprentice, the skills you gain in your workplace may be recognised as evidence and contribute towards your skills assessments.
The Certificate III in Fire Protection, is an entry level trade qualification where youll gain all your technical and theoretical experience in the field. It provides real world exposure where youll apply what youre learning in simulated environments both in the field and in the classroom. You will advance your skills as you progress through the qualification and become eligible to apply as a licensed fire systems technician.
You may choose to go on to study the Certificate IV in Plumbing and Services. This course will advance your technical skills. You will qualify for lucrative work as a specialist hydraulic services design consultant. This course is a preferred prerequisite for the Diploma of Hydraulic Service Design.
The Diploma of Hydraulic Service Design is the established recognised qualification for those people wanting to work in the Hydraulic Services Design profession. It builds and establishes the foundation knowledge and skills and is the industrys accepted qualification for registration as a Hydraulic Service Certifier with the NSW Fair Trading Building Professionals Board.
You will gain hands-on experience in:
- Bending and joining pipes
- Laying, installing and joining underground pipe services
- Marking out and installing fire protection components
In this course you will work on real world projects in TAFE NSW simulated environments or on-the-job with your employer, including:
- Fitting a variety of systems
- Testing and maintaining systems
- Manipulating copper and steel
- Using a panel
TAFE NSW offers you a range of online and on-campus study environments workshops, industry specific computer rooms, simulated workplaces, study areas, presentation areas and general student facilities - to enhance your learning and employability.
This qualification is in a high demand skill shortage area of building construction and maintenance.
This qualification is listed on the NSW Skills List as a subsidised qualification and currently attracts a government student fee exemption for apprentices.