Diploma of Building and Construction (Building)
National Course Code: CPC50210
The nationally accredited Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) allows you to work on exciting projects as a qualified builder. Use your current industry experience and develop leadership skills to ensure projects are completed on time and in budget.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical course work, learn to:
- Plan low to medium rise building projects using structural principles
- Identify and produce estimated project costs
- Prepare and evaluate tender documents
- Manage project quality, risks, contracts and contractors
- Apply building codes and standards to the construction process
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- A passion for the building and construction industry
- Strong leadership qualities
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to solve problems
- A keen eye for detail and accuracy
- An interest in technical details
- An aptitude for working with their hands
- Good time management
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Diploma level
- The ability to apply for an NSW builders licence (with additional requirements)
- A strong pathway to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Construction manager
- Building site manager/supervisor
- Trade contractor
- Contract administrator
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Diploma of Building Design
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
People who are successful in this industry have:
- A keen eye for detail and accuracy
- Good time management skills
- Communication skills
- Leaderships qualities
- An ability to problem solve
Assessment is a very important part of your TAFE NSW course. We use a range of methods to assess your competence including:
- Skills assessments
- Knowledge assessments
- Supplementary evidence and work placement
You must hold a CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building Construction (Building) alongside the Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) and have industry experience, to gain your Building (general building work) license in NSW.
The Certificate IV will help you gain leadership and management skills, coordinate and manage subcontractors, apply structural principles to low rise constructions, conduct on-site supervision of building and construction projects and run your own business. The successful completion of the Certificate IV in Building Construction (Building) is an entry requirement of this Diploma.
The Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) will solidify your specialist skills. It has been designed to meet the needs of builders who would like to manage residential, commercial or industrial buildings.
Note: If you have qualifications in carpentry and/or bricklaying you may apply to gain your Building (general building work) license in NSW. However, you still require a Certificate IV in Building Construction (Building) qualification. For more information visit fairtrading.nsw.gov.au
You will gain hands-on experience in:
- Supervision and management skills
- Understanding and selecting building materials for a range of construction types
- Communication skills to liaise with key stakeholders
You will have access to industry specific computer rooms, studios, study areas, presentation areas and general student facilities available at most TAFE NSW campuses. You may also study online and on your job site.
This course is for people wanting to become builders and managers of small to medium building businesses. It provides learners with the skills and knowledge to coordinate the overall construction of low rise and medium rise residential and commercial including selecting contractors, overseeing the work and its quality, and liaising with the client.
This course is superseded