Certificate III in Live Production and Services
National Course Code: CUA30415
The nationally recognised Certificate III in Live Production and Services is your backstage pass to the exciting world of live music and theatre production. Learn the skills you need to work behind the scenes on audio lighting, staging and vision systems at gigs, venues and theatres.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical course work, learn to:
- Set up microphones
- Operate front of house and monitor mixing consoles
- Program moving lights
- Operate lighting consoles
- Set up and pack down stage and backline equipment
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- A hard-working attitude
- A positive approach to teamwork
- An aptitude for practical work
- The ability to take and give direction
- A technical and creative mindset
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally accredited qualification at Certificate III level
- A strong pathway to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Front of house mixer
- Monitor engineer
- Lighting operator
- Stage technician
- Audio visual operator
- Assistant stage manager
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Diploma of Live Production and Technical Services
- Advanced Diploma of Live Production and Management Services
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
This course is currently available at 4 campus locations across NSW. Enquire now for other locations.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
To be prepared for this course, it is recommended that you:
- Have attended a range of live performances (if possible)
- Subscribe to industry websites such as CX Network and Audio Technology
- Are capable of lifting portable sound and lighting equipment if you are concerned about this, you can speak to a teacher at your campus location
- Enjoy working in a team, as collaboration is essential
- Revel in work that is a combination of creative and technical tasks
- Have a patient attitude and can fluctuate between intense periods of work and lengthy periods of waiting
- Have an interest in related areas such as IT networking, broadcast or film and television
If you need help preparing for study, contact us about your options.
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned and to identify the knowledge or skills that may need further development. In this course you will complete:
- Knowledge assessments: short answer, multiple choice questions, assignments, research tasks
- Practical skills assessments: demonstrations under observation
- Simulated workplace projects
This course primarily has practical assessments using a range of live production equipment in typical live venues like clubs and theatres. There are some written tasks assessing audio and lighting theory and safety in the workplace.
- Get a great grounding in the basics of the audio, staging and lighting industry with the entry-level Certificate III in Live Production and Services
- Enhance your skills and employability with the Diploma of Live Production and Technical Services. This course is best suited for candidates who already have some practical experience in live production and want to expand their theoretical knowledge and advanced skills in audio, lighting, vision systems and staging
- For those with significant industry experience, recognition is available for the Advanced Diploma of Live Production and Management Services
Depending on your preferred campus location, youll have the opportunity to be in the thick of it at venues off-campus and working behind the scenes at events and gigs.
You will gain hands-on experience in:
- Setting up microphones
- Operating front of house and monitoring mixing consoles
- Programming moving lights
- Operating lighting consoles
- Setting up and packing down stage equipment and backline
At TAFE NSW, we want you to walk into the live production industry with confidence. We understand the importance of practising your skills in authentic workplace scenarios. Projects will include:
- Live shows with full audio, lighting and vision production
- Pre-production and event planning, including lighting design and stage plans
We offer you a range of on-campus, digital and blended study environments computer rooms, simulated workplaces, study areas, presentation areas, and general student facilities all built to enhance your learning and student experience.
- TAFE NSW Disability Support Service
- TAFE NSW Language, Literacy, and Numeracy (LLN) support
- TAFE NSW Aboriginal Support; Learner support (ABE)
- TAFE NSW Careers, Counselling, and Pathways Service
- Smarthinking - online access to a tutor
- LinkedIn Learning an online resource offering innovative courses and tutorials to improve your personal and professional skills
- Scholarship programs be supported as you learn, and fulfil your potential with a TAFE NSW scholarship
- Student Association get social with your student community and enjoy benefits, discounts, activities, and events
Graduates of the Certificate III in Live Production Services can be found working on hybrid (online and live) events, using IP and networking skills in live production and working with software and digital audio and lighting consoles.
The Australian live production sector experienced record revenue in 2018 of $2.2 billion. A recent report by PWC predicts that despite recent challenges, revenue will rebound strongly over the next 5 years and surpass 2019 revenue by 2024.