Certificate III in Music Industry (Music Business)
National Course Code: CUA30915
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Music Industry (Music Business) takes you backstage to discover how the music business works. Gain skills to join the industry in an exciting career with a record company, independent label, music publisher or in band management.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Book gigs and other events
- Work with copyright legislation
- Promote music, performers and musicians
- Identify different music genres
- Navigate the structure of the music industry
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Commitment and drive to build a behind the scenes career in the music industry
- Collaborative teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Great communication and listening skills
- A keen eye for detail
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A strong pathway to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Assistant band or artist manager
- Venue operator
- Booking agency assistant
- Promotional assistant
- Event and festival support worker
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Diploma of Music Industry (Music Business)
- Bachelor of Business with TAFE NSW Degrees
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
This course is currently available at 3 campus locations across NSW and online. Enquire now for other locations.
People who are successful in this course have:
- The commitment and drive to build a career in the music industry
- Teamwork and people skills
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills
- A keen eye for detail
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned and to identify the knowledge or skills that may need further development.
In this course, you can expect practical and written assessments, projects and networking activities. Most assessments are held online or through blended learning with practical assessments are held in performances spaces and computer labs.
The Certificate II in Music Industry is a broad base entry level course and will give you a taste of the music industry and the ability to go on to further study.
This Certificate III level course is your introductory music business course. You will gain a broad overview of the industry and a comprehensive set of music industry skills to start your career.
The Certificate IV level course helps you develop your music career. Skills in performing or recording music and theoretical knowledge is an advantage. At this level, you need to be self-motivated and able to work independently.
The Diploma requires you to have significant industry experience and has a focus developing management and leadership skills.
If you are keen to specialise, we offer music industry streams in performance, sound production or music business.
Depending on your campus location, you may be involved in excursions that take you behind the scenes in the music industry. We also invite guest lecturers from the music industry to join us and add an extra dimension to your learning.
You will gain hands-on experience in:
- Making presentations
- Creating budgets
- Developing promotional material
TAFE NSW is known for delivering theory along with practical, real-world skills. An integral part of the music business is making connections and building relationships.
In this course you will start developing your music contacts through real world opportunities, these include:
- Networking at industry events including gigs, forums and conferences
- Creating your own industry contact list
TAFE NSW offers you a range of study environments to enhance your learning and employability, like:
- Rehearsal spaces fully equipped to industry standard
- Fully equipped recording studios
- Specialty music computer labs
- TAFE NSW classrooms
- Listening rooms
The music industry has been through an unprecedented number of changes in the past two decades. According to the CEO of ARIA, Dan Rosen, we are in a global market, 'with artists competing every day against every piece of music ever made - from Beethoven, to Beyonce to The Beatles'.
However, great challenges bring great opportunities. Data driven analytics, the resurgence of festivals and events, music publishing and the rise and dominance of streaming services mean that new possibilities now exist for music business graduates.
According to PwC, growth drivers in the industry are:
- Live contemporary music, especially mass appeal international artists at large stadium venues
- Subscription streaming services
- Exclusive products, content, or events
Music plays an integral role in our lives. This course helps graduates work behind the scenes to help musicians play, record and be paid for their artistry.
The industry is booming after a period of change, and is experiencing a recovery lead by streaming services driving large profits and sustained growth worldwide. There are new opportunities emerging in the music business space with growth in publishing, independent record labels and festival booking. At present, the total revenue of the recording industry is $400m, and 30% of this comes from the independent sector.
Songwriters and artists are taking back control of their music and need knowledge and guidance around business and copyright. This course provides you with the basic knowledge and can lead you to further music business study.