Diploma of Photography and Photo Imaging
National Course Code: CUA50915
The nationally recognised Diploma of Photography and Photo Imaging will strengthen the technical and leadership skills needed in the photography industry. In this practical course, you will learn traditional and contemporary techniques from experts in the field, in state-of-the-art facilities.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Apply photo imaging trends
- Use colour management in digital imaging
- Utilise visual communication
- Refine digital art techniques
- Build and launch a small business website
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Organisational skills
- Problem solving abilities
- Creative vision and design thinking
- Excellent collaboration skills and the ability to work independently
- Attention to detail
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Diploma level
- A portfolio of your work
- Skills and knowledge to start your own freelance business
- Art photographer
- Commercial/advertising photographer
- Domestic portrait photographer
- Fashion photographer
- Industrial/architectural photographer
- Media photographer
- Sports photographer
- Technical photographer (museum/gallery/scientific/medical/forensic)
- Wedding photographer
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Diploma of Creative Practice
- Bachelor of Creative Practice with a TAFE NSW degree
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
We could not find any courses for the filters you have applied, please , or click here and our friendly team will let you know about other options.
People who are successful in this industry are:
- Extremely organised
- Able to solve problems with quick solutions
- Effective communicators
- Able to work well in a team and independently
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned and to identify the knowledge or skills that may need further development. In this course you will undertake:
- Written assessments such as knowledge tests
- Practical assessments such as portfolios and observational assessments
The Certificate IV in Photography and Photo Imaging is an intermediate level qualification that provides some exposure to simulated and real world. It does cover foundational skills and sets you up for success in the diploma. Practice at this level is predominately digital and builds your underpinning experience.
This course, the Diploma of Photography and Photo Imaging, is where youll finesse your experience in photography. It provides real world exposure where youll apply what youre learning in simulated and real world environments. You will have the opportunity to develop yourself as a professional, by creating photoshoots. You may be eligible for recognition of prior learning if you have completed prior photography qualifications.
The Diploma of Creative Practice is a further study option. It helps further strengthen your creative skills while also developing your business and entrepreneurial skills. This course creates a strong business driven foundation in the arts sector, and serves as the first year of a Bachelor of Creative Practice.
Depending on your campus location and local partnerships with TAFE NSW, you may have the opportunity to participate in excursions that take you behind the scenes in the photography industry.
You will gain hands-on experience in:
- Setting up technical equipment for photo shoots
- Developing digital software skills on Mac and PC
- Operating DSLR cameras, lens and peripheral equipment
- Practicing correct work, health and safety protocols
TAFE NSW is known for delivering theory along with practical, hands-on learning. You will work on real world projects, such as:
- Photo shoots in a variety of genres such as landscape, portraiture, group photography, built environment and interior photography
- Setting up photoshoot areas where you will be conscious of managing work health and safety risks for your staff and clients
TAFE NSW offers you a range of online and on-campus study environments - industry specific computer rooms, dark rooms, studios with specialist lighting equipment, simulated workplaces, study areas, presentation areas and general student facilities - to enhance your learning and employability.
The Professional Photographic Services industry in Australia is forecast to grow by an annualised 0.7% to $1.05 billion over five years through to 2023/24.
The industry is dominated by small, owner-operated businesses, with many operators working part-time and increasingly work in speciality markets such as weddings, schools and advertising.
After completing this diploma, you may find yourself working in a variety of fields such as drone photography, wedding photography, real estate photography, or as a stylist photographer to name a few.
Technology and social media are at the focus of everything we do, whether we are snapping a happy picture or doing our grocery shopping online. It is important as a photographer that you are able to adapt to technology, smart devices and software. The Diploma of Photography and Photo Imaging ensures you are able to confidently use the software and use social media to your advantage.