Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping
National Course Code: FNS40217
The nationally accredited Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping enables you to launch a career in the fast-growing finance industry. You will learn how to prepare financial reports and statements, maintain payroll systems and be job-ready for any sized organisation across multiple sectors.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Apply accounting fundamentals
- Create financial reports
- Process financial transactions
- Use computerised accounting and payroll systems
- Create and lodge Business Activity Statements (BAS)
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Attention to detail
- An enjoyment of working with numbers
- A service-oriented nature
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate IV level
- A strong foundation to start or further your finance career
- Payroll Officer
- Accounts Officer
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Diploma of Accounting
- Bachelor of Applied Commerce
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor of Business
This course is currently available at 48 campus locations across NSW and online. Enquire now for other locations.
People who are successful in this industry have:
- Attention to detail
- Enjoy working with numbers
- Are service oriented
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned so far and identify the knowledge or skills that need further development. In this course you will undertake:
- Skills assessments such as creating reports in Excel or creating accounting documents, like balance sheets and journals
- Assessments in a simulated workplace, including the use of policies and procedures, sample documents and case studies
- Knowledge assessments including questions on accounting theory
- Role plays to practice workplace communication
Certificate III is an entry level course that you can study through different avenues like TVET in school. This is a great course to choose if you dont have experience in a workplace or you would like to strengthen your skills in accounts administration.
This course, the Certificate IV is the minimum requirement that meets the licensing requirements to register with the Tax Practitioners Board as a Registered Business Activity Statement (BAS) Agent. Meaning you need this qualification to perform certain work functions. You dont need to complete the Certificate III level course before enrolling in the Certificate IV.
To be eligible for the Diploma level course, you need to complete the Certificate IV. The Diploma deepens your knowledge gained on industry legislation and ethical practices and depending on the units you study, you will be eligible for a TPB registration in a different category; expanding your employment opportunities.
You will gain hands-on skills in:
- Software - MS Word, Excel, MYOB AccountRight
- Skills - operating payroll systems, producing financial reports, administering accounts and ledgers, introducing cloud computing to business, creating and lodging Business Activity Statements (BAS)
You will learn real workplace practices in accounting and bookkeeping, including industry standards and legal requirements for accountants.
As part of your course you will manage a project and conduct activities in an environment that mimics a real workplace for a fictitious client. For example, you may manage the process and activities involved in creating and lodging a BAS for a client.
TAFE NSW offers you a range of online and on campus study environments - industry specific computer rooms, simulated workplaces, study areas, presentation areas and general student facilities - to enhance your learning and employability.
This course covers the theoretical foundation of accounting and bookkeeping and incorporates contemporary industry tools and skills like cloud computing.
Skills in new technologies are becoming more important as technology plays a larger role in society and the sector.