Diploma of Engineering - Advanced Trade
National Course Code: MEM50105
The nationally recognised Diploma of Engineering - Advanced Trade will give you the specialist skills you need to work at the highest level in the manufacturing, engineering or related industries as an advanced tradesperson. Expand your knowledge, strengthen your career and become a leader in an in-demand industry.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theoretical and practical course work, you will learn to:
- Use CAD to develop technical drawings, mark out and develop 3D shapes
- Specialise in fabrication, machining and maintenance techniques
- Analyse materials for fault detection
- Organise procedures, work instructions and planning
- Prepare technical reports
- Provide on-the-job training with supervisors and trainers
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal qualities needed to be successful in this field:
- A methodical approach to problem solving
- Effective communication
- Collaboration and the ability to work as part of a team or independently
- Organisation and time management
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will provide you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Diploma level
- Specialist skills and knowledge to work as a team leader or supervisor
- Advanced engineering tradesperson
- Mechatronics technician
- Instrumentation and control technician
- Welding inspector or supervisor
GROW YOUR CAREER
Master your trade with a Bachelor of Engineering
According to the Department of Jobs and Small Business, employers found shortages across all Engineering Trades (except for welding). Skilled and qualified employees and supervisors are in-demand and the Diploma of Engineering - Advanced Trade ensures you are ready to meet this demand and lead your team to success.
This course is superseded by MEM50198-02V01. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
This course is currently available at 1 campus location across NSW. Enquire now for other locations.
People who are successful in this industry have:
- An enthusiastic approach to working at a high level in the engineering manufacturing trades
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective communication
- An ability to work with limited supervision
- A reasonable level of physical fitness to be able to manage the demands of being an engineer
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned and to identify the knowledge or skills that may need further development. In this course you will undertake:
- Written assessments which may include knowledge tests
- Practical assessments which may include skills assessments
The Certificate IV in Engineering is a post trade course for people working in the industry to gain technician skills and progress employability skills to a senior level.
The Diploma of Engineering - Advanced Trade is for those who want to study at a higher standard, or engineering professionals who have significant industry experience. It provides practical skills and knowledge for you to work towards managerial roles. This course provides a pathway to a degree qualification.
This course is a great entry point to university level study and gives you a great foundation for a Bachelor of Engineering.
Depending on your campus location and local partnerships with TAFE NSW, you may have the opportunity to participate in excursions that take you behind the scenes in the Engineering industry.
You will gain hands-on experience in:
- Technical drawing and interpretation
- Computer Aided Drawing (CAD) software
- Precision hand tool techniques
- Specialised fabrication, machine and maintenance techniques
- Safe work practices
TAFE NSW is known for delivering up-to-date theory along with relevant, in-demand skills to ensure you are job ready.
In this course you will work on real-world projects, in simulated TAFE NSW environments, such as:
- Developing drawings and designs
- Operational planning and reporting
- Providing on the job training with supervisors and trainers
- Establishing operational standards
- Developing complex work procedures
- Metal fabrication
TAFE NSW offers you a range of online and on-campus study environments - industry specific computer rooms, simulated workplaces, study areas, presentation areas and general student facilities - to enhance your learning and employability.
You will spend most of your study time in:
- A workshop that simulates a workspace
- Online facilitated environments such as Moodle
The Diploma of Engineering - Advanced Trade graduates work in the Engineering and Manufacturing industry as advanced tradespersons, in supervisory or planning roles.
The Diploma of Engineering - Advanced Trade gives you a strong education foundation, so youll be ready to move into electrical, mechanical, civil, environmental and aeronautical engineering.