Certificate III in Furniture Finishing
National Course Code: MSF30113
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Furniture Finishing prepares you to bring furniture to life. From restoring an antique to polishing a mid-century modern piece, you will use your creative and technical artisanship to become a trade specialist in the timber and furniture industry.
This is a fully government subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through course work, you will learn how to:
- Examine drawings, work orders and sample finishes to determine client specifications
- Select appropriate materials for finishing furniture
- Create unique furniture designs
- Prepare furniture to receive finishes
- Remove old finishes with steel, solvents and paint strippers
- Apply lacquer, paint, oil and varnish
- Complete French polishing
- Apply safe work practices
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal attributes that will help you get ahead:
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Safety conscious practice
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will provide you with:
- A nationally recognised trade qualification at Certificate III level
- Skills and knowledge to start your own sole trader business
- Qualified tradesperson, contractor or sub-contractor
- Specialist furniture restorer or finisher
- Representative for furniture finishing suppliers
- Retail specialist in furniture finishing retailer
GROW YOUR CAREER
Design your own dual qualification by pairing with the:
- Certificate III in Cabinet Making
- Certificate III in Shopfitting
- Certificate III in Joinery
- Certificate III in Glass and Glazing
The construction industry needs qualified timber technicians who can create bespoke finishes on furniture pieces whether it be timber homeware or custom orders. Gain a TAFE NSW furniture finishing qualification, and open the door to excellent employment opportunities.
Sorry, this course is not currently open for enrolments.
People who are successful in this industry have:
- An interest in furniture finishing, principles and concepts
- A passion for working with timber and composite materials and finishing furniture products
- A keen eye for detail
- A creative mind
- The ability to work collaboratively with others
- Safety conscious practices
- Strong spatial awareness and hand-eye coordination
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned and to identify the knowledge or skills that may need further development.
In this course you will undertake:
- Written assessments: knowledge tests
- Practical assessments: skills assessments
The Certificate III in Furniture Finishing is a trade qualification where youll gain all your underpinning experience in a specific industry area. It provides real world exposure where youll apply what youre learning in TAFE NSW simulated work environments and on-the-job with your employer.
Graduates may choose to pair this qualification with a Certificate III in Cabinet Making or a Certificate III in Joinery to expand their skill base, and create more career opportunities for themselves while incorporating their established timber knowledge from this qualification.
There are no excursions for this course, as you will get hands on experience working in the industry with skilled tradespeople.
You will gain hands-on experience in:
- Examining drawings, work orders and sample finishes to determine client specifications
- Selecting appropriate materials for finishing furniture
- Creating unique furniture designs
- Preparing furniture to receive finishes
- Removing old finishes
- Applying lacquer, paint, oil and varnish
- French polishing
- Repairing or restoring timber and composite components in furniture
- Applying safe work practices
In this course you will work on real-world projects, in simulated TAFE NSW environments, such as:
- Preparing and finishing real-world furniture projects for a variety of timber or composite applications.
- A wide variety of industry specific finishing materials
- Work, health and safety practices
- Communicating in the workplace
In the Certificate III in Furniture Finishing, you will have the opportunity to study in industry-simulated purpose built workshops.
TAFE NSW offers you a range of online and on-campus study environments like industry specific computer rooms, simulated workplaces, study areas, presentation areas and general student facilities - to enhance your learning and employability.
Student facilities, amenities and support services include:
- TAFE NSW Disability Support Service
- TAFE NSW Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) support
- TAFE NSW Aboriginal Support; Learner support (ABE)
- TAFE NSW Careers, Counselling and Pathways Service
- Smarthinking - online access to a tutor
This innovative qualification uses an appreciation of traditional timber crafting methods, and pairs it with emerging technologies to ensure you are a highly sought after gruaduate. This course recognises the importance of selecting the right niche for you, and gives you the option to tailor electives suited to your interests.
The construction industry has heavily relied on qualified timber specialists to provide top quality products in the past, and will continue to do so far into the future.