Course Info - TAFE NSW
Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques
National Course Code: MSL40116
This course is superseded
This qualification covers the skills and knowledge required to perform a range of laboratory techniques to conduct tests and sampling in a variety of industry sectors.
Employment outcomes targeted by this qualification include technical assistants, technicians, instrument operators and similar personnel.
Technical assistants undertake a wide range of sampling and testing that requires the application of a broad range of technical skills and some scientific knowledge. Although technical assistants generally work in a laboratory, they often work closely with other personnel throughout the workplace and with suppliers. They may assist other personnel to solve technical problems and to adjust formulations and production mixes. They may also train them to collect samples and conduct basic tests reliably.
The work of technical assistants involves similar tasks within one scientific discipline with occasional peak periods and some interruptions. They:
- work according to established procedures in a structured environment
- collect and prepare samples
- conduct a wide range of basic tests and a limited range of specialised tests and measurements using manual, semi-automated and fully automated techniques
- define and solve problems of limited complexity where the information available is less obvious, but not contradictory, and can be determined by direct reasoning
- work under the direction and regular supervision of senior technical staff, laboratory or quality managers, or scientific/medical personnel. The work of technical assistants is normally subject to frequent progress and quality checks
- generally work in a team and may have responsibility for their own work outputs.
No licensing, legislative or certification requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
Sorry, this course is not currently open for enrolments. Enquire now for future availability.
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
Sorry, this course is not currently open for enrolments
Enquire now for future availability or choose a campus location below to view all available courses.
- Hunter Street
- Kurri Kurri
- Moss Vale
- Wollongong West
- Glen Innes
- Coffs Harbour
- Coffs Harbour Education Campus
- Great Lakes
- Port Macquarie
- National Environment Centre
- Primary Industries Centre
- Wagga Wagga
- West Wyalong