Certificate IV in Auslan
National Course Code: PSP40818
The nationally accredited Certificate IV in Auslan allows you to develop your advancing Auslan language skills as you gain confidence and become fluent in your signing language skills. Build connections within the deaf community as you learn to converse in a range of situations.
This is a fully government subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theoretical and practical course work, you will learn to:
- Sign with a degree of fluency and spontaneity
- Communicate in casual conversations about directions, cooking, verbs and social events
- Communicate in formal conversations about employment and education
- Analyse the differences between Auslan and the English language
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal attributes that will help you get ahead:
- Persistent, adaptable and empathetic
- Committed to advancing your Auslan skills
- Advanced communication skills
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will provide you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate IV level
- Strong pathways to continue your studies and enhance your career opportunities as a professional interpreter
Once you complete this qualification, you will be able to:
- Use your Auslan knowledge professionally within community services, education and disability sectors
GROW YOUR CAREER
Advance your Auslan skills with:
- Diploma of Auslan
Upon completing the Diploma of Auslan, become a professional interpreter with:
- Diploma of Interpreting
- Advanced Diploma of Interpreting
The education, disability and aged care sectors are among the largest industries in Australia and consistently seek to ensure all services are available to the deaf community. Become an industry professional, as you learn to listen and respond, while creating inclusive environments for those who may not otherwise be heard.
Sorry, this course is not currently open for enrolments.
People who are successful in this course are:
- Persistent, adaptable and empathetic
- Committed to advancing Auslan skills
- Able to interchange skills to different situations
- Great at communicating with others
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned and to identify the knowledge or skills that may need further development. In this course, the types of assessments you will complete include:
- Written assessments: understanding recorded texts, understanding live texts and research projects
- Practical assessments: producing and delivering complex Auslan text and participating in spontaneous Auslan exchanges
- Depending on your location, you may need to attend class on specific days to complete some of the Auslan assessments.
The Certificate III in Auslan takes everything you have learnt in the Certificate II and develops your Auslan comprehension and participation skills further. It will teach you tools to have different conversations and provides study pathways that will help you reach your career goals.
This course, the Certificate IV, is designed for people who would like to advance their Auslan to more naturally communicate with others around them. You will gain confidence in interacting in complex situations and practice with a degree of fluency and spontaneity, across a large range of subjects. It involves abstract and concrete notions, and can be completed before enrolling in the Diploma of Auslan.
The Diploma of Auslan is where you will hone your Auslan skills and use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes. You will be able to sign without hesitation, and be fluent and independent.
This course does not offer excursions, however you will gain hands on experience in the classroom.
You will gain hands-on skills to use at home and in your community:
- Signing with a degree of fluency and spontaneity
- Communicating in casual conversations such as directions, cooking, verbs and social events
- Communicating in formal conversations like employment and educational domains
- Conversing about concrete and abstract topics
TAFE NSW is known for delivering theory along with practical, hands-on learning. You will work on real world projects, including:
- Using Auslan to communicate fluently and independently
- Using Auslan to communicate at an independent user level
TAFE NSW offers you a range of online and on campus study environments - industry specific computer rooms, simulated workplaces, study areas, presentation areas and general student facilities - to enhance your learning and employability. Student facilities, amenities and support services include:
- TAFE NSW Disability Support Service
- TAFE NSW Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) support
- TAFE NSW Aboriginal Support; Learner support (ABE)
- TAFE NSW Careers, Counselling and Pathways Service
- Studiosity - online access to a tutor
The demand for capable workers who can communicate independently through Auslan is growing. The Certificate IV in Auslan is a pathway to becoming a recognised interpreter. Our course provides you with the social, intellectual and technical skills you need to build your career in this field.
The Certificate IV in Auslan creates a valuable opportunity for you to connect with the deaf community and make a difference in lives daily by understanding and communicating effectively through Auslan. This course also creates a pathway for you to move towards a role as a professional interpreter.