Diploma of Civil Construction Design
National Course Code: RII50515
The nationally accredited Diploma of Civil Construction Design equips you with the skills and expertise to work as a civil or structural draftsperson, a civil construction designer, site officer or project manager. It is a highly regarded qualification for a career in a booming industry.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical course work, learn to:
- Manage projects
- Apply design principles
- Use the latest industry software
- Operate construction materials testing equipment
- Use surveying equipment effectively
- Design, draft and build infrastructure projects
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Communication skills
- Analytical skills to read and interpret plans and specifications
- Problem solving with a solution-based focus
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A strong pathway to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Civil/structural draftsperson
- Civil/structural designer para-professional
- Civil construction site officer
- Civil construction site manager
- Laboratory technician
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Advanced Diploma of Civil Construction Design
- Bachelor of Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Construction Management
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
People who are successful in this industry have:
- A safety mindset
- Good problem solving skills
- The ability to work in a team
- Good communication skills
- Good attention to detail
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned and to identify the knowledge or skills that may need further development. In this course you will undertake:
- Knowledge assessments: short answer, multiple choice and quizzes
- Practical skills assessments: demonstrations under observation
Your assessments will take place in your workplace or in a TAFE NSW simulated work environment.
- Begin your study with a Certificate II in Civil Construction and gain the foundational skills and knowledge you need to begin a career in civil construction
- Develop your ability and understanding of core concepts with a Certificate III in Civil Construction, you can also choose a specialisation like general construction, pipe laying, road construction and maintenance, or tunnel construction
- Expand your core capabilities and develop a broad knowledge base Certificate IV in Civil Construction Design, and learn to apply construction principles to civil design and urban planning
- Advance your existing skills and knowledge with the Diploma of Civil Construction Design, and learn to manage projects and people
- Master your studies with the Advanced Diploma of Civil Construction Design, and gain skills, experience and a qualification to help you stand out from the crowd
Depending on your campus location and local partnerships with TAFE NSW, you may have the opportunity to participate in excursions that take you behind the scenes in the civil construction industry.
You will gain hands-on experience:
- Applying the latest industry software and technology
- Operating construction materials testing equipment
- Designing projects to meet current safety standards
- Determining and meeting current customer needs
TAFE NSW is known for delivering up-to-date theory along with relevant, in-demand skills to ensure you are job ready.
In this course you will work on real-world projects, in your workplace and in TAFE NSW simulated environments.
Real world projects include:
- Design, drafting and construction of infrastructure projects such as roads, carparks, freeways, sports grounds, residential areas, railways, drainage systems and airport runways
- Design, drafting and construction of residential and commercial buildings
TAFE NSW offers you a range of online and on-campus study environments including:
- Outdoor simulated work areas
- Workshops for practical demonstrations
- Industry specific computer rooms
- Simulated workplaces
- Study and presentation areas
Student facilities, amenities and support services include:
- TAFE NSW Disability Support Service
- TAFE NSW Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) support
- TAFE NSW Aboriginal Support; Learner support (ABE)
- TAFE NSW Careers, Counselling and Pathways Service
- Smarthinking - online access to a tutor
The civil construction sector is booming with the NSW Government investing $93 billion to infrastructure projects. This investment will require a pipeline of skilled civil construction workers over the next four years to 2022/23.
Skilled civil construction design para-professionals are always in high demand through residential, commercial, mining and public sector projects.
The NSW Government is constantly investing in infrastructure projects, which requires a pipeline of skilled civil construction para-professionals.
The Australian Government is investing $100 billion over 10 years from 2019-20 in transport infrastructure across Australia through its rolling infrastructure plan, of which a substantial component is under the Infrastructure Investment Program.
The Diploma of Civil Construction Design teaches you the practical skills sought by the industry, and prepares you for employment through workshop demonstrations and simulated work activities.
This course is superseded