Certificate III in Fitness (Aqua Exercise Instructor)
National Course Code: SIS30315
The nationally recognised Certificate III in Fitness (Aqua Exercise Instructor) equips you with the skills you need to work as an aqua exercise or gym instructor. You'll learn how to design and deliver water-based exercise sessions, and motivate people to achieve their fitness goals.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical course work, learn to:
- Incorporate anatomical and physiological principles into fitness instruction
- Complete pre-exercise screening and fitness orientation
- Maintain equipment for activities
- Communicate healthy eating information
- Instruct and evaluate water-based exercise programs
- Perform water rescues and first aid
- Work safely in the sport, fitness and recreation industry
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- A desire to help people
- Complex problem-solving skills
- Effective communication skills
- Entrepreneurial skills
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally accredited qualification at Certificate III level
- First Aid Certificate
- A strong pathway to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Aqua exercise instructor
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate IV in Fitness
Sorry, this course is not currently open for enrolments.
People who are successful in this industry are:
- Self-motivated and able to motivate others
- Great communicators
- Positive and have a can-do attitude
- Interested in health and fitness
- Entrepreneurial in spirit
- Able to solve problems and find solutions
- Genuine and approachable
- Supportive and empathetic
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned so far and identify what knowledge or skills need further development. In this course you will undertake:
- Skills assessments
- Knowledge assessments
- Case study assessments
The Certificate III in Fitness is an entry level qualification that will help you gain employment in the health and fitness industry as a gym, group or aqua exercise instructor.
Fitness instructors work independently and with some level of autonomy in a controlled environment like a fitness, leisure, aquatic or community centre where risks are managed through pre-existing risk assessment and hazard control processes.
The Certificate III in Fitness includes prerequisite units that you will need to have completed before you can progress on to studying the Certificate IV in Fitness where you'll gain the skills and knowledge to become a personal trainer.
Depending on your campus location and local partnerships with TAFE NSW, you may have the opportunity to participate in excursions that get behind the scenes in the health and fitness industry.
You will gain a range of hands-on skills to help people achieve their health and fitness goals, including:
- Skills in pre-exercise risk assessment
- Fitness assessments
- Fitness program planning and evaluation
- How to work with different groups in the community and adapt programs to meet their needs
You will also learn how to operate in a contemporary fitness industry environment including:
- Skills in risk management
- Maintaining equipment
- Offering a quality service
You will work with real clients in the TAFE NSW campus gym or an industry workplace to help them meet their personal health and fitness goals. You will also experience how an effective team works together to operate a successful business.
Study at your local TAFE NSW campus and practice your skills in settings that reflect a real workplace.
You will also have access to the following support:
- Access to Counsellors, LNN specialists, interpreter services, helpdesk and online learning support
- Guidance from Library staff
- Guidance from student support services
- Opportunities to participate in tutoring
- Time with your teacher outside of the classroom and online lecture environment, including additional contact with them via email, Skype calls, phone calls with allocated meeting times
- Work placement support including assistance to identify and secure a work placement
Continued growth is expected in this sector as more and more people embark on their health and fitness journey. This is a great time to enter the industry as there is a demand for skilled and qualified fitness instructors.
Fitness leaders are at the forefront of getting our population moving. Both the Government and leading health organisations are calling for Australians to be more physically active for health, happiness, longevity and disease prevention.