Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
National Course Code: SIT40516
Perfect your cookery skills and leadership style as a Chef or Chef de Partie with the nationally recognised Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery. Learn to manage people, business operations and develop menus for your own restaurant, cafe or commercial kitchen while mastering the art of creating delicious dishes.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and practical course work you will learn how to:
- Prepare dishes uses different techniques, equipment and methods
- Develop and adapt menus to cater for special dietary requirements
- Manage kitchen operations - stock control, plan and cost menus, plan operations
- Lead a team and coach individuals
- Manage human resources - rostering, handle conflict
- Manage the business - marketing, finance management and budgeting
- Work health and safety practices
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the leadership skills and attributes needed to run a kitchen and small business, including how to:
- Coach individuals in a high performing team
- Collaborate and work together
- Communicate effectively
- Problem solve
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Complete this course and gain:
- A nationally recognised industry trade qualification
- Skills and knowledge to open your own cafe, restaurant or coffee shop
Career opportunities include:
- Chef - small restaurant or cafe
- Chef de Partie - large hotel
- Culinary artist
GROW YOUR CAREER
Push your hospitality skills and knowledge to a senior level with:
- Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Hospitality Management
There are over 24 million people in Australia and we all eat out two to three times a week on average. The food industry is strong and expected to grow over the three years to 2023.
Our busy lifestyles, growing food culture and greater focus on healthy food options is driving our restaurant demand. Chefs are in short supply in NSW and this shortage has been impacting industry for the past three years.
This course is currently available at 19 campus locations across NSW. Enquire now for other locations.
People who are successful in this field have:
- A collaborative teamwork spirit
- Effective communication
- Problem solving skills
- A passion for food
- Passion for learning
- Ability to work in a high pressure environment
- A desire to be a leader in a busy kitchen
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned so far and identify the areas that need further development. In this course you will undertake:
- Theory knowledge assessments - short answer
- Practical skills assessments - in simulated kitchen
- Portfolio of work that contributes toward assessments
- Case studies - scenario based, short written response
- Projects - research and reports
The Cert III level course is a trade qualification that enables you to work in the industry, under limited supervision as a cook. You might provide operational advice and support to team members.
Certificate IV Commercial Cookery enables you to work in the industry as a Chef. This course has a strong leadership and business management focus.
In addition to your work placement hours, learning in our fully equipped industry standard, commercial kitchen provides you with the opportunity to get hands-on kitchen experience.
Depending on your elective choices you will master hands-on skills in a range of techniques, including: roasting, baking, poaching, sauteeing, frying, grilling, blanching, braising and stewing.
You will use different types of equipment: combi ovens, deep fryers, mixers and food processors. You will also refine your skills in using smaller kitchen equipment and skills like moulis and mandolins. Your knife skills, product knowledge and food safety skills will also be put to work.
You will participate in a range of structured workshop activities that allow you to practice your skills before attempting assessments.
In the TAFE NSW commercial kitchen, you will work on activities that enable you to gain experience in work situations that enhance your learning journey and contribute to your assessments.
You will have access to industry specific computer rooms, studios, study areas, presentation areas and general student facilities available at most TAFE NSW campuses.
You will also have access to a commercial kitchen with equipment that is used in all different types of businesses in the industry, like large-scale retail, franchise, small commercial, restaurant chains, small to medium independent and specialist commercial businesses.
Build the technical skills you need to work in a commercial kitchen as a Chef or Chef de Partie.
This qualification was designed with industry to support growth that is forecast in the hospitality industry.
The Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery prepares you to put your technical skills to work as a Chef within a commercial kitchen at a restaurant, hotel, club, pub, cafe or coffee shop.