TAFE NSW website

TAFE - Print Version


Study Now Pay Later with the Commonwealth Government student loan scheme.

Photo of piggy bank


VET FEE-HELP is a student loan scheme that is funded by the Commonwealth Government to assist eligible students in Diploma level and above courses. VET FEE-HELP loans are not subject to income or assets tests.

VET FEE-HELP provides you with the option of:

  • Deferring all of your tuition fees; or
  • Paying some of your tuition fees upfront and deferring the balance

There is a loan fee of 20% for fee-for-service VET FEE HELP loans. Fee concessions are not available on fee-for-service courses offered by TAFE NSW.

From July 1 2014, VET FEE-HELP loans will also be available to eligible students in NSW Government subsidised training places to pay their TAFE NSW fee for Diploma, Advanced Diploma and selected Certificate IV courses. There is no loan fee for VET FEE HELP loans to students in NSW Government subsidised training places. For more information about the fees for Government subsidised training places please visit Smart and Skilled - Prices, fees and subsidies in 2015.

Selected Certificate IV courses include:

  • CHC40108 Aged Care
  • AHC40110 Agriculture
  • CHC40312 Disability
  • ICA40411 Information Technology Networking
  • SIT40212 Travel and Tourism

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for VET FEE-HELP you must:

  • Be an Australian citizen or a permanent humanitarian visa holder who will be resident in Australia for the duration of study
  • Provide a tax file number
  • Not exceed your FEE-HELP loan limit
  • Provide, or be allocated, a Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) – a unique identifying number provided by the Australian government

Is VET FEE-HELP available for my course?

VET FEE-HELP is available for higher-level qualifications offered by TAFE NSW including:

  • All TAFE NSW Graduate Certificates and Graduate Diplomas
  • All TAFE NSW Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas, offered on a fee-for-service basis or TAFE NSW fee

VET FEE-HELP Tuition Fees are published as required under the Higher Education Support Act 2003 and are regularly updated. You can view the schedule of VET Tuition fees for each TAFE NSW Institute below:

SEMESTER 1, 2015 

Hunter Institute
Illawarra Institute
North Coast Institute
New England Institute
Northern Sydney Institute 
OTEN (Open Training and Education Network) 
Riverina Institute 
Sydney Institute 
South Western Sydney Institute 
Western Institute
Western Sydney Institute

Credit transfer

Completing a high level qualification with TAFE NSW provides a great pathway to many university degrees. Find out more about getting credit where credit's due – TAFE to University.

How do I pay back the loan?

You repay your VET FEE-HELP loan through the Australian tax system when you reach the minimum income threshold for repayment. Information about the minimum income threshold is available on the Study Assist website (VET FEE-HELP).

More information – Study Assist website

Further information about VET FEE-HELP, including Frequently Asked Questions and information about FEE-HELP loan limits, may be found on the Study Assist website (VET FEE-HELP).

Rights and responsibilities

If you are considering applying for VET FEE-HELP, you should familiarise yourself with your obligations by reading the VET FEE-HELP Information Booklet. Further information is also available in the TAFE NSW – VET FEE-HELP Policy.

TAFE NSW provides fair treatment and ensures equal benefits and opportunities for students who are entitled to VET FEE-HELP assistance.

Fair treatment

To ensure fair treatment for students, TAFE NSW has policies on a range of issues including student selection, entry requirements, assessment and equal opportunity.

Grievance procedures for academic matters

TAFE NSW undertakes to deal with grievances promptly. You are entitled to raise any concerns about your academic results or appeal a result.

In the first instance, you should talk to your teacher for more information about the appeals process.

Grievance procedures for non-academic matters

You may raise a concern or grievance for a range of non-academic matters, including harassment, vilification, discrimination, misuse of personal information, financial matters and course applications.

You may report your grievance to a teacher, counsellor or other support officer. See the Non-academic grievance procedures.

Withdrawals and refunds

Tuition assurance

Personal information

When you enrol at TAFE NSW, the collection, storage, use and disclosure of any personal information you provide are protected by legislation.