Degrees Top - Interior Design
Degrees Middle - Interior Design
More about this Degree
Course code: HE20501
Locations: Design Centre, Enmore
Duration: 3 years full time or part time equivalent
Course load: You must complete 24 subjects and achieve 240 credit points to complete this course. Each subject is worth 10 credit points.
- Classes commence 13 February 2023
- First round applications close 24 November 2022
- Second round applications close 27 January 2023 subject to availability of places.
At a glance:
- The Bachelor of Interior Design is an undergraduate qualification taught in English.
- The course is located at Level 7 on the Australian Qualifications Framework.
- You will learn how to create innovative, original interior design concepts by exploring the spatial, structural and material elements of built interior environments. Graduates will have the ability to manage complex projects from initial concept through to a successful detailed solution, demonstrating a comprehensive understanding of the interaction between interior spaces and the people who use them.
To be eligible for admission into the Bachelor of Interior Design you must have at least ONE of the following entry requirements:
- NSW HSC (Higher School Certificate) or equivalent
- Recognised Tertiary Preparation Certificate
- Certificate IV level or higher vocational qualification
- Completion of at least one year full-time study or equivalent in a degree course at a higher education institution
In addition to the entry requirements described above, applicants are required to submit a portfolio of artwork and design, as well as a 500-word essay. Further details on these requirements will be provided when you submit your application.
Please note: If you have completed, or are currently enrolled in, one of the following courses at TAFE NSW, you do not need to submit the additional requirements described above.
- Certificate IV in Design
- Certificate IV in Interior Decoration
- Diploma of interior Design.
- You do NOT require an ATAR for entry into this course
- If you do not meet any of the four minimum entry requirements, you may be able to apply for entry under special admissions provisions including mature age or disadvantage
Check current fee information in the Fee Schedule on the Fees and Payments page*.
Tuition fees for international students can be found on the TAFE International website.
There may be additional costs to purchase resources required for individual subjects. The course coordinator can advise you of any additional course fees.
* Note that tuition fees are reviewed annually and are subject to change.
If you have extensive relevant and current industry experience or you’ve recently completed studies in a related field, you may be eligible for exemptions from similar subjects in the Bachelor of Interior Design.
Courses for which recognition will be granted include, but are not limited to, diploma and advanced diploma qualifications in interior design, construction, graphic design and creative arts.
Talk to your course coordinator to see if you’re eligible. You are required to attend class until you are advised that your application for RPL has been successful.
Note: Your application for RPL will assess your prior learning against the outcomes of this course. RPL is only granted against full subjects. Partial RPL will not be granted.
Full-time students enrol in four subjects per semester, with face to face classes totalling approximately 16 hours per week. Students are expected to undertake an equivalent amount of private study to maximise success in the course
A range of assessment methods are used across subjects in this course to allow students to demonstrate both practical skills and theoretical knowledge. Most subjects require the completion of 3 to 4 assessment tasks. Assessment types include, but are not limited to essays, reports, practical projects, online discussion posts, process diaries, presentations, and examinations.
You can view the course structure and an overview of study requirements for each subject by downloading the Course Information Brochure.
This course is available for enrolment by international students, subject to meeting course entry requirements and satisfying student visa conditions. For more information including tuition fees go to the TAFE NSW International website.
While every effort has been made to ensure the above information is accurate and up to date, you are advised to contact the course coordinator for specific and up to date information about tuition fees and academic requirements of the course.
This is a Design Institute of Australia (DIA) Recognised course which means you can be assured it meets industry standards. Students and graduates are automatically eligible to be DIA members.
Degrees - Related - Aqua
Degrees - Design - FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
Good design enables us to live and work more efficiently, comfortably, and pleasurably. Succeeding in this field requires a mix of research and practice, creativity, and technical skill. The TAFE NSW Bachelor of Interior Design prepares graduates to excel in this fast-paced and highly imaginative profession.
Professional interior designers bring to life all kinds of amazing spaces – from homes and apartments to retail stores, hotels, restaurants, exhibitions, and workplaces. After completing the TAFE NSW Bachelor of Interior Design you will be ready to work with interior design practices, architectural studios, or property developers. Our emphasis on small class sizes, real-world projects and professional skills ensures that when you graduate, you’ll be ready for a rewarding career in a fascinating and constantly evolving industry.
Interior design, like many creative professions, is highly competitive. The TAFE NSW Bachelor of Interior Design will not only give you the mix of research and practice, creativity, and technical skill, needed to succeed in this exciting field, but it will also give you the competitive edge when looking for work.
The TAFE NSW Bachelor of Interior Design will equip you for practice as a successful design industry professional and there is no better way to do this than through our internship program which you will undertake in your final year of study. Not only will you get first-hand experience working in industry, but you’ll also make valuable industry contacts and connections.