Degrees Top - Fashion Design
Degrees Middle - Fashion Design
More about this Degree
Course code: HE20506
Duration: 3 years full-time or part time equivalent
Course load: You must complete 28 subjects, a mix of core and electives. You must achieve a total of 240 credit points to complete this course. Most subjects are worth 10 credit points, but some are worth 5 credit points.
- Begins: February 2021.
- Applications close: 27 November 2020.
At a glance:
- The Bachelor of Fashion Design is an undergraduate qualification taught in English.
- The course is located at Level 7 on the Australian Qualifications Framework.
- The degree focusses on the individuality of students, and allows you to explore your own creativity, and to draw on various design disciplines to develop your own signature style. You will be able to choose from electives in second and third year to enable you to develop specialist skills. An industry internship in third year and participation in student parades allows you to experience the full fashion cycle from design sketch to runway show.
To be eligible for admission into the Bachelor of Fashion Design you must have at least ONE of the following entry requirements:
- NSW HSC (Higher School Certificate) or equivalent
- Recognised Tertiary Preparation Certificate
- Certificate IV level or higher vocational qualification
- Completion of at least one year full-time study or equivalent in a degree course at a higher education institution
You must also:
- Submit additional information with your application, including a portfolio of art work to demonstrate your creative talent. This additional information will be assessed to determine your suitability for entry into this course, and where there are more applicants than study places available, will be used to rank your application.
- You do NOT require an ATAR for entry into this course
- If you do not meet any of the four minimum entry requirements, you may be able to apply for entry under special admissions provisions including mature age or disadvantage
In 2020 domestic students will pay a tuition fee of $2,100 per 10 credit point subject and $1,050 per 5 credit point subject (a total of $50,400 for the full bachelor degree*). This course attracts FEE-HELP, so eligible students can study now and pay later.
Tuition fees for international students can be found on the TAFE NSW International website.
* Note that tuition fees are reviewed annually and are subject to change. Check current fee information in the Fee Schedule on the Fees and Payments page.
There may be additional costs to purchase resources required for individual subjects. The course coordinator can advise you of any additional course fees.
If you have extensive relevant and current industry experience or you’ve recently completed studies in a related field, you may be eligible for exemptions from similar subjects in the Bachelor of Fashion Design.
Courses for which recognition will be granted include, but are not limited to, diploma and advanced diploma qualifications in fashion design, fashion business, textile design, graphic design and creative arts.
Talk to your course coordinator to see if you’re eligible. You are required to attend class until you are advised that your application for RPL has been successful.
Full-time students enrol in four subjects per semester, with face to face classes totalling approximately 16 hours per week. Students are expected to undertake an equivalent amount of private study to maximise success in the course
A range of assessment methods are used across subjects in this course to allow students to demonstrate both practical skills and theoretical knowledge. Most subjects require the completion of 3 to 4 assessment tasks. Assessment types include, but are not limited to essays, reports, practical projects, online discussion posts, process diaries, presentations, and examinations.
You can view the course structure and an overview of study requirements for each subject by downloading the Course Information Brochure.
This course is available for enrolment by international students, subject to meeting course entry requirements and satisfying student visa conditions. For more information including tuition fees go to the TAFE NSW International website.
While every effort has been made to ensure the above information is accurate and up to date, you are advised to contact the course coordinator for specific and up to date information about tuition fees and academic requirements of the course.
This is a Design Institute of Australia (DIA) Recognised course which means you can be assured it meets industry standards. Students and graduates are automatically eligible to be DIA members.