Career planning - TAFE NSW
TAFE Digital - Getting Started - Career Planning
Want a career and not just a job?
With a little planning you can be on your way and TAFE NSW is a great way to start. Developing your career is something you need to actively manage. It's up to you to plan, build and develop your lifelong learning, work and career journey. But don't despair, there's lots of help out there to get you where you want to go. Support and free advice on career planning is available from TAFE NSW Counsellors before you enrol and during your studies.
Plan your future
Building a career is about looking forward. There are industry areas that are growing and skills shortages in many areas. It is important to consider a career that offers you good employment prospects. Governments across Australia are focused on employment and training for Australians of all ages. There are websites to help you choose a career, research job opportunities and skills shortages, prepare for employment or re-entering the workforce and of course, find the training and support options offered by TAFE NSW.
To help with researching a career or further study, you should consider:
- Where are the skills shortages or job vacancies? Look around in your locality. Ask at your local job centres, visit useful links and check the papers.
- What are you good at? What experience do you have?
- What industry and career could your skills be applied to?
- What are your goals - short term and long term? Do you need, or would you benefit from extra skills, training and qualifications to get you the job you want?
- How can the qualifications you hold assist you to move forward? Check out the Career Paths in vocational areas and the type of qualifications you need to achieve your career goals. TAFE Digital will not offer all of these qualifications, but other TAFE NSW Institutes may.
Re-entering the workforce
Are you re-entering the workforce after a long break? Some people are ready to commit to specific job training but others need to regain some general workplace or study skills first.
Either way, TAFE Digital offers a range of courses from preparatory, entry level workplace skills through to something more advanced. The aim is to give you educational and workplace confidence through completing courses suited to your needs and goals. These include courses to help you improve your English language skills, or your basic literacy and numeracy, or your job seeking skills. We also have some special programs that are just what you're looking for.