Multicultural student support - landing
Multicultural student support
Maximising opportunities for people from culturally diverse backgrounds
TAFE NSW is a place for all students throughout New South Wales to gain the education and skills you need for the jobs you want – regardless of your cultural traditions, languages or background.
As almost a quarter of all Australians were born overseas, and four million of us speak a language other than English, TAFE NSW can provide you with specialised support if English is not your first language.
We also have a range of other support services that may be able to help you throughout your education and training with TAFE NSW.
Multicultural services at TAFE NSW
We ensure that participation, completions and pathways to vocational education and employment are tailored to best serve people from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) backgrounds.
Support may include:
- direct support to students with language difficulties and referral to existing internal services such as counselling, libraries and course information;
- tutorial support for students from non-English speaking backgrounds enrolled in mainstream vocational courses;
- advice on Temporary Visa Holders (TVH) policy for enrolling students;
- advice on recognition of qualifications and training gained overseas;
- guidance on the use of interpreters and bilingual services; and
- information to students of CALD backgrounds on available courses and services at TAFE NSW to improve awareness and increase access to programs and courses.
Strong communication skills are key in all careers. TAFE NSW’s courses can help you to boost your:
- conflict resolution skills;
- job interview techniques;
- résumé or CV writing techniques;
- work-related writing, including reports; and
- leadership and negotiation skills.
Reading, writing and mathematics services
It is estimated that more than 40 percent of people in Australia need help with literacy and numeracy. At TAFE NSW, we can help with this. We offer a large range of reading, writing and mathematics courses, as well as general courses which provide essential skills for trade and advanced study skills which lead to higher education pathways.
Computer skills services
Computer skills are needed in all industries. From beginner’s basics to advanced information technology, TAFE NSW has the latest knowledge, including:
- all about emails;
- social media;
- excel spreadsheets;
- Microsoft Word skills; and
- how to use blogs, wikis, virtual meeting rooms and more.
General education and employability skills
If you want to be more confident applying for jobs, we have general education and employability skills courses tailored to your needs.
We have an informal, friendly approach, supportive adult learning environment and genuine desire to help you succeed. We will talk with you one-on-one so that, together, we can find the right pathway to your desired future.
Find out more
For further information about our multicultural student support services, please contact your local TAFE NSW, by visiting with a TAFE NSW customer service officer or by calling TAFE NSW on 02 9217 4106.
If you’re studying, or planning to study, through TAFE Digital please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (02) 9715 8678 for further information.