Scholarships - William R Galvin - Banner
Scholarships - William R Galvin Memorial - Content
William R Galvin Memorial Scholarship
If you have completed an eligible qualification in 2019 or Semester 1 2020, you are eligible to apply for a William R Galvin Memorial Scholarship.
Closing date: 5 pm, Wednesday 18 November 2020
If you have graduated from one of the following tourism, travel, and hospitality qualifications in 2019 or Semester 1 2020, you are now eligible to apply for the William R Galvin Memorial Scholarship.
- Certificate I in Hospitality
- Certificate I in Tourism (Australian Indigenous Culture)
- Certificate II in Asian Cookery
- Certificate II in Holiday Parks and Resorts
- Certificate II in Hospitality
- Certificate II in Kitchen Operations
- Certificate II in Tourism
- Certificate III in Asian Cookery
- Certificate III in Catering Operations
- Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
- Certificate III in Events
- Certificate III in Guiding
- Certificate III in Holiday Parks and Resorts
- Certificate III in Hospitality
- Certificate III in Hospitality (Restaurant Front of House)
- Certificate III in Patisserie
- Certificate III in Travel
- Certificate III in Tourism
- Certificate IV in Asian Cookery
- Certificate IV in Catering Operations
- Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
- Certificate IV in Guiding
- Certificate IV in Holiday Parks and Resorts
- Certificate IV in Hospitality
- Certificate IV in Patisserie
- Certificate IV in Travel and Tourism
- Diploma of Hospitality Management
- Diploma of Travel and Tourism Management
- Diploma of Event Management
- Diploma of Holiday Park and Resort Management
- Advanced Diploma of Hospitality Management
- Advanced Diploma of Travel and Tourism Management
- Advanced Diploma of Event Management
- Successful completion of an eligible qualification in 2019 or Semester 1 2020.
- Demonstrated strong participation, passion and commitment to the tourism and hospitality industry.
- Demonstrated ability to apply skills and knowledge learned throughout the course, to a range of technical tasks and interpersonal skills in the class and/or workplace.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn in different ways.
- Demonstrated openness to new ideas and techniques.
What type of study/training or work placement can I undertake?
The award encourages further study, training or work placement in the tourism, travel and hospitality industry, in Australia or overseas. It is important to explain in your application, why you have chosen your specific study, training or work placement, so the selection panel can best determine the merit of your proposal.
Who will be on the selection committee?
Industry and TAFE NSW representatives.
Will I need to attend an interview? What if I can’t attend the interview in person?
Shortlisted applicants may be invited to attend an interview. If you are invited to interview and cannot attend in person, video conference and telephone conference facilities are available.
It is your responsibility to make the arrangements with your local TAFE NSW to access these facilities if required.
How do I make arrangements for my proposed study/training or work placement if I don’t know if I will win?
- Make initial contact with your proposed study, training or work placement provider to establish the scheduled start and completion dates, as well as any related costs of the proposed program. The proposed study, training or work placement needs to start within three months of the winner being announced.
- Include details of the proposed study, training or work placement in your application.
- If you are shortlisted by the selection committee, confirmation of your accepted proposal for study, training or work placement must be provided to be awarded the scholarship.
Download and complete the application form. Ensure you sign the declaration and attach all relevant supporting documents.
Scan and email the Application form with supporting documents to: email@example.com by 5 pm, Wednesday 18 November 2020.
About William R Galvin OAM
The William R Galvin Memorial Scholarship has been established by TAFE NSW, in memory of the late William R Galvin OAM.
A former TAFE NSW teacher, Bill Galvin was a prominent figure in the tourism and hospitality industry, serving in numerous leadership roles throughout the sector.
In the decades before his passing, Bill was an instrumental leader within the hospitality industry. Bill Galvin held positions such as the CEO of Tourism Training Australia, the President of the Tourism, Hospitality and Catering Institute of Australia, and was a member of both the Tourism Taskforce, and the Australian Industry and Skills Committee.
Throughout his career, Bill remained passionate about training and supporting young people in the industry. Then in 1997, he was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for his services to the tourism industry.