Recognition & Credit Transfer

Man using a computer

What is recognition?

Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.

Recognition may be granted through:

  • Credit Transfer, which allows you to receive credit for unit/s of competency previously successfully completed
  • Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), which is an assessment process of your previous skills, knowledge and experience to meet the requirements of the course you are enrolled in. If you can clearly show you have already gained the equivalent skills or knowledge, you may be granted credit for unit/s of competency or in some cases up to 100% of a course
  • Articulation arrangements, which allow you to be granted credit for studies towards a higher level qualification in TAFE NSW. A pre-arranged credit transfer arrangement must exist for articulation to be granted

Looking for recognition/credit transfer for your TAFE qualification to go to university?

TAFE NSW has a dedicated website with our Credit Transfer arrangements with Higher Education Providers. Arrangements are now in place for more than 150 TAFE NSW courses to articulate into nearly 3,000 degrees in top Australian Universities. You can find out more information about TAFE NSW Credit Transfer arrangements by searching the website and tailor your study journey from TAFE to Higher Education. Got a question? Email us and we'll help!

Who may apply for credit transfer?

All students currently enrolled in TAFE NSW may apply for credit if you have previously completed relevant training in TAFE NSW or another Registered Training Organisation (RTO).

How to apply for credit transfer

To apply for credit, contact the staff at your chosen campus when you enrol or as soon as possible after your enrolment. If you are in a government subsidised course and if you gain credit for unit/s of competency, it may reduce your fee.

Evidence requirements for credit transfer

For previously completed qualifications from another TAFE NSW Institute or another RTO, evidence for application of credit transfer may include documents such as course transcripts or statement of results.

Credit for successfully achieved unit/s of competency from your previously completed qualification in the same campus and Institute where you are enrolled is automatically applied to your current enrolment.

TAFE NSW have pre-arranged credit transfer arrangements for certain courses from Universities ( , NSW schools, adult and community education (ACE) colleges and some private education and training providers for the amount of credit that may be granted towards a TAFE NSW qualification.

Who may apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)?

If you have overseas qualifications in a field of study the same as or related to your TAFE NSW qualification, TAFE NSW will undertake an assessment to determine the amount of credit you will be eligible for in your course, or if your studies meet the entry requirements for the course. This is an example of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).

How to apply for RPL

Contact the staff at your chosen campus to discuss how you may gain credit through recognition of your skills, knowledge or experience as part of your previous part-time, full-time or casual work. TAFE NSW may recognise relevant skills gained through community or volunteer work, sports team management, domestic responsibilities or even hobbies and leisure activities. These skills may be assessed as equivalent to meet the requirements of up to 100% of the course you are enrolled in.

Evidence requirements for RPL

You will need to provide evidence to the assessor at your local TAFE campus to demonstrate that you have the skills and knowledge required to meet the requirements of the course you are enrolled in to receive credit.Evidence for RPL that you submit must be current and may include:

  • Letters and references, including confirmation from your employers, clients or community groups
  • References from your paid or unpaid work experience
  • Samples of your work, including reports, articles or publications

Copies of original certificates or other documents must be certified by a Justice of the Peace (JP). Alternatively, you may bring the original documents to be sighted by the assessor to certify your copies.

You may also be required to undertake an interview, practical assessment or challenge tasks to demonstrate that your skills are current.

If you are applying for recognition for your overseas qualifications, you should provide certified translations of your qualifications or documents. Alternatively, you may contact the NSW Community Relations Commission, the Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Border Protection or the Adult Migrant English Programs (AMEP) for free or paid translation services (conditions may apply). See also the National Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS).

Appeal for a review of results

If you are dissatisfied with your results from the RPL assessment, it is best to discuss your concerns with your teacher as soon as possible. Your teacher will provide you with information on how to apply for a results review, the timeframe involved, contact persons and support available to you. If you wish to lodge an appeal for a review of results, you must do so no later than 3 weeks from the receipt of your results. You may also refer to the Institute Consumer Protection Officer for additional information.

Find out more

More information about Recognition processes and how to arrange an assessment is available from your local TAFE NSW campus. School students can also find out more about getting credit for TVET courses.