International Course Info
This qualification reflects the role of a dental technician responsible for construction and repair of dentures and other dental appliances including crowns, bridges, partial dentures, pre and post oral and maxillofacial surgical devices and orthodontic appliances.
Dental technicians work in dental laboratories on their own or in groups under the prescription of dentists, dental prosthetists or dental specialists.
Work Placement: There is no work placement requirement for this qualification. However some units do require assessment in the workplace a TAFE NSW teacher or assessor will attend Sydney Dental Hospital with you to carry out your assessments.
Before commencement of professional experience in NSW Health facilities students will be required to obtain:
- A valid Working with Children Check (WWCC)
- A valid National Police Record Check
- Evidence they have met NSW Health immunisation requirements
- Meet NSW Health’s criminal record check and working with children check requirements.
- Sign the NSW Health code of conduct form and any other forms, as required by NSW health.
- Undertake occupational assessment, screening and vaccination against infectious diseases and provide their health care worker/student vaccination record card.
- Complete mandatory online modules as required by facilities.
HLTFIN001 Comply with infection control prevention and control policies and procedures unit requires the student to demonstrate their skills to be assessed in a workplace.This will be provided for students in a dental laboratory that services NSW Health clients located at Sydney Dental Hospital.
Physical fitness/aptitude: HLTAID003 Provide First Aid unit is a core unit of this qualification. Successful completion of this unit will require the student to demonstrate their physical fitness for the purposes of performing Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) on the floor.
Manual Dexterity Test: All students must participate in a manual dexterity check to ensure an appropriate level of dexterity to enable them to complete complex manual tasks involved in dental technology.
No licensing, legislative regulatory or certification requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
INTERNATIONAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
When you study with TAFE NSW, we want you to succeed. Entry requirements allow us to make sure that you have the right pre-existing knowledgeand skills to achieve your chosen qualification. You will need to provide evidence that you meet the requirements listed in this section.
STARTING DATES, COURSE FEES AND LOCATIONS
From mountains to oceans, from cities to country towns, international students can choose from over 50 campus locations across the state. Experience our vibrant spaces such as libraries, cafes and gyms as well as places you can network, socialise and just chill out.
Learn more about TAFE NSW study locations
|Locations||Starting Dates||Course Fees|
|Randwick||Feb , Jul||A$41,330|
COURSE STRUCTURE AND UNITS
To receive this course students must complete all core units and, if available, a range of additional units.
Note: Additional units contain compulsory and elective units which may vary between each semester and campus, and will depend on a number of considerations including the packaging rules for the qualification and demand for the unit.
- Packaging Rules 25 units must be completed
- 21 core units
- 4 elective units
- 3 units from the electives listed below
- 1 unit from the list below any endorsed Training Package or accredited course. Selected units must be relevant to the work outcome.
- All electives chosen must contribute to a valid industry supported vocational outcome.
- Core Units
- CHCCOM005 Communicate and work in health or community services
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
- HLTDET002 Construct custom impression trays
- HLTDET003 Construct registration rims
- HLTDET004 Articulate models and transfer records
- HLTDET005 Construct thermoformed bases and appliances
- HLTDET006 Construct immediate dentures
- HLTDET007 Construct removable acrylic partial dentures
- HLTDET008 Construct cast removable alloy partial denture framework
- HLTDET009 Construct crown and bridge structures
- HLTDET010 Join alloy structures
- HLTDET011 Construct ceramic and fixed restorations
- HLTDET012 Construct orthodontic appliances
- HLTDET013 Construct oral splints
- HLTDET014 Repair and modify dentures and appliances
- HLTDET015 Construct complete removable acrylic dentures and appliances
- HLTDET016 Design digital dental restorations and appliances using computer aided design (CAD)
- HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTWHS003 Maintain work health and safety
- CHCCOM002 Use communication to build relationships
- CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/ or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCDIV003 Manage and promote diversity
- CHCPRP005 Engage with health professionals and the health system
- HLTAID006 Provide advanced first aid
- HLTDET017 Construct dental restorations and appliances using computer aided manufacturing (CAM)
- HLTINF002 Process reusable devices and equipment
- BSBADM311 Maintain business resources
- BSBADM409 Coordinate business resources
- BSBCUS301 Deliver and monitor a service to customers
- BSBCUS403 Implement customer service standards
- BSBFIA402 Report on financial activity
- BSBLDR403 Lead Team effectiveness
- BSBPMG522 Undertake project work
- BSBRKG403 Set up a business or records system for a small business
- BSBWOR204 Use business technology
KEEP LEARNING WITH TAFE NSW
From certificates to diplomas, degrees to study packages, you can take your study further with us.
Plan your study around your life with a TAFE NSW study package. Our study packages allow for multiple courses to be packaged together that can lead you to a TAFE NSW or an Australian University Bachelor Degree with credits. This gives you a one stop shop by completing your applications for the whole package through TAFE NSW allowing you to apply for one student Visa for the full duration of the package.