International Course Info
INTERNATIONAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
When you study with TAFE NSW, we want you to succeed. Entry requirements allow us to make sure that you have the right pre-existing knowledgeand skills to achieve your chosen qualification. You will need to provide evidence that you meet the requirements listed in this section.
- Year 10 or equivalent
English Language Requirements:
- Academic IELTS 5.5 or TOEFL (iBT) 46 or equivalent
- Or Completion of a TAFE NSW General English Program
- The NSW Liquor and Gaming regulations require students to be 18 years of age or older if they are undertaking units that involve the service of alcohol and/or gaming operations.
TAFE NSW makes every effort to ensure your Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) needs are met. The level of support you need may be assessed via a review of your LLN skills with written tasks and a one-on-one interview. If you need to strengthen your LLN skills, an individual training plan will be created with you.
Workplace learning ('on-the-job' training) is required for the achievement of competencies to receive the Certificate III in Commercial Cookery.
Work placement is a critical part of your success in this course, a teacher will assist you in gaining unpaid work placement with a hospitality establishment in line with TAFE NSW policy. This will happen once you have gained enough knowledge to operate safely in the workplace.
Your work placement will be supported and monitored by TAFE NSW. As well as the in-class training and assessment you will be required to complete 144 hours of work placement during scheduled service periods working in a real industry environment. This is made up of 48 service periods (shifts) in a commercial kitchen.
We recommend that you seek paid employment to meet this requirement and the teacher will advise if your workplace is suitable. You will complete up to 27 service periods at the TAFE on-campus restaurant as part of your coursework, however you will need to seek work placement or employment with a suitable a commercial kitchen to complete the remaining 21 service periods required.
We recommend that you seek paid employment to meet this requirement and the teacher will advise if your workplace is suitable.
To be prepared for this course, it is recommended that you are:
- A good communicator
- Comfortable working with numbers
- Passionate about cooking and being creative with food
- Able to work under pressure
If you need help preparing for study, contact us about your options.
The NSW Liquor and Gaming regulations require students to be at least 18 years old if they undertake units that involve the service of alcohol and/or gaming operations.
You need to be at least 18 years old to complete the electives below:
RSA and RCG
- Provide responsible service of alcohol (RSA)
- Provide responsible gambling services (RCG)
Students who complete the RSA and RCG electives will receive a competency card from NSW Liquor and Gaming allowing you to serve or supply alcohol and/or work with gaming machines.
STARTING DATES, COURSE FEES AND LOCATIONS
From mountains to oceans, from cities to country towns, international students can choose from a range of courses offered at multiple campus locations across the state. Experience our vibrant spaces such as libraries, cafes and gyms as well as places you can network and socialise.
Learn more about TAFE NSW study locations
|Locations||Starting Dates||Course Fees|
|Wollongong||Feb , Jul||A$17,310|
|Locations||Starting Dates||Course Fees|
|Ourimbah||Feb , Jul||A$17,310|
|Wollongong||Feb , Jul||A$17,310|
Additional costs for uniforms, equipment, textbooks and materials (if applicable) range from A$300 - $1,000 per course.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND UNITS
To receive this course students must complete all core units and a range of Additional units.
Note: Additional units may vary between each semester and campus, and will depend on a number of considerations including the packaging rules for the qualification and demand for the unit at that location. TAFE NSW does not guarantee that speciality units listed will be offered at each location and semester. You will receive your timetable from the teaching section on commencement and speciality units offered will be provided at that time.
- Packaging Rules 25 units must be completed
- 21 core units, 4 elective units consisting of
- 4 units from the list below elsewhere in the SIT Training Package or any other current Training Package or accredited course.
- Core Units
- BSBSUS201 Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- BSBWOR203 Work effectively with others
- SITHCCC001 Use food preparation equipment
- SITHCCC005 Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery
- SITHCCC006 Prepare appetisers and salads
- SITHCCC007 Prepare stocks, sauces and soups
- SITHCCC008 Prepare vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes
- SITHCCC012 Prepare poultry dishes
- SITHCCC013 Prepare seafood dishes
- SITHCCC014 Prepare meat dishes
- SITHCCC018 Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements
- SITHCCC019 Produce cakes, pastries and breads
- SITHCCC020 Work effectively as a cook
- SITHKOP001 Clean kitchen premises and equipment
- SITHKOP002 Plan and cost basic menus
- SITHPAT006 Produce desserts
- SITXFSA001 Use hygienic practices for food safety
- SITXFSA002 Participate in safe food handling practices
- SITXHRM001 Coach others in job skills
- SITXINV002 Maintain the quality of perishable items
- SITXWHS001 Participate in safe work practices
- BSBCMM201 Communicate in the workplace
- TLIE1005 Carry out basic workplace calculations
- SITHASC001 Prepare dishes using basic methods of Asian cookery
- SITHASC002 Prepare Asian appetisers and snacks
- SITHASC003 Prepare Asian stocks and soups
- SITHASC004 Prepare Asian sauces, dips and accompaniments
- SITHASC005 Prepare Asian salads
- SITHASC006 Prepare Asian rice and noodles
- SITHASC007 Prepare curry pastes and powders
- SITHASC008 Prepare Asian cooked dishes
- SITHASC009 Prepare Asian desserts
- SITHASC010 Prepare Japanese cooked dishes
- SITHASC011 Prepare sashimi
- SITHASC012 Prepare sushi
- SITHASC013 Produce Japanese desserts
- SITHASC014 Prepare dim sum
- SITHASC015 Prepare Chinese roast meat and poultry dishes
- SITHASC016 Prepare tandoori dishes
- SITHASC017 Prepare Indian breads
- SITHASC018 Prepare Indian sweetmeats
- SITHASC019 Prepare Indian pickles and chutneys
- SITXCCS006 Provide service to customers
- HLTAHA019 Assist with the monitoring and modification of meals and menus according to individualised plans
- SITHCCC003 Prepare and present sandwiches
- SITHCCC004 Package prepared foodstuffs
- SITHCCC009 Produce cook-chill and cook-freeze foods
- SITHCCC010 Re-thermalise chilled and frozen foods
- SITHCCC015 Produce and serve food for buffets
- SITHCCC016 Produce pates and terrines
- SITHCCC017 Handle and serve cheese
- SITHCCC021 Prepare specialised food items
- SITXCOM001 Source and present information
- SITXCOM002 Show social and cultural sensitivity
- BSBITU202 Create and use spreadsheets
- BSBITU301 Create and use databases
- BSBITU306 Design and produce business documents
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
- SITXFSA003 Transport and store food
- SITXINV001 Receive and store stock
- SITXINV003 Purchase goods
- SITXWHS002 Identify hazards, assess and control safety risks
- SITHIND002 Source and use information on the hospitality industry
KEEP LEARNING WITH TAFE NSW
From certificates to diplomas, degrees to study packages, you can take your study further with us.
Build your expertise with a TAFE NSW Hospitality study pathway:
- Expand your capabilities with the Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery or
- Specialise in pastry and desserts with the Certificate IV in Patisserie
If you already have experience, skills and knowledge that are relevant to your course, you may be able to apply for credit through articulation, credit transfer or recognition of prior learning.
Plan your study around your life with a TAFE NSW study package. Our study packages allow for multiple courses to be packaged together that can lead you to a TAFE NSW or an Australian University Bachelor Degree with credits. This gives you a one stop shop by completing your applications for the whole package through TAFE NSW allowing you to apply for one student Visa for the full duration of the package.