Part Time Day
Course Start Date
12 Hours per week
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
- Fully Subsidised Course
Master hand-held chainsaw skills with the nationally accredited Statement of Attainment in Chainsaw Operations - Trim and Cut. In this competency-based course you will learn how to operate safely in a tree felling environment and safely trim and cut felled trees and other materials.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and practical course-work, you will learn:
- Work safely while trimming and cross cutting felled trees or logs
- Correctly identify unsafe situations
- Apply appropriate cuts to logs for a pre-determined outcome
- Maintain chainsaws and chains in good working condition
- Battery powered chainsaws
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal qualities and skills you need to get ahead in this field:
- Commitment to work, health and safety
- Time management skills and reliability
- Hand-eye and body coordination
- Ability to work in changing environments
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will equip you with:
- A Statement of Attainment qualification
- Specialist skills that will keep you safe on the job
GROW YOUR CAREER
Add to your skill set by studying:
- Statement of Attainment in Chainsaw Operations - Basic Tree Felling
- An additional Operate a Pole Saw unit to meet the growing demand for qualified pole saw operators
The skills required to conduct safe chainsaw operations have become very important due to the increased focus on public land safety, as dead or burnt trees become more common.
This is a part-time day, face to face course. You will need to attend approximately 7.5 hours of class, over 2 days. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 4.5 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 2 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including pre-reading, chainsaw learner guide.
Upon enrolment, you will be posted a Learner Guide and you are required to complete the prereading and revision exercises within the Workbook.
Attendance Day 1 - Face to Face Training at TAFE NSW Great Lakes Campus - 8.30 - 4.30 pm.
Attendance Day 2 - Face to Face Training and Practical Assessment TAFE NSW Great Lakes Campus - 8.30 - 4.30 pm.
Additional Learner support will be available between Day 1 & Day 2, via E Facilitated Learning . Your Trainer will discuss this option at the commencement of your course.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- Want to learn about the entire range of knowledge and skills to safely and efficiently operate chainsaws including, WHS policies and procedures, covering risk identification and emergency procedures that could reasonably be expected to occur across a broad range of job roles across different work settings, including a forest environment, agricultural, horticultural, land management, domestic, local council and emergency services. Chain and engine maintenance, including sharpening, techniques, completing daily and periodic routine and service requirements. Operational techniques including, trimming and cutting felled trees and preparation of materials to cut with a hand-held chainsaw.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
- Additional Educational and Learner support will be provided, If you don't have the required literacy and numeracy skills. Please discuss your needs with a TAFE NSW staff member.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Studiosity - online access to a real life tutor
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
Students will be provided with a course schedule when details are confirmed.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
FULLY GOVERNMENT SUBSIDISED
This course is fully government-subsidised for eligible students, meaning you will not have to pay any course fees. It is part of a program to help people develop the skills they need to get a job, undertake entry level qualifications or transition to a new job.
If you are not eligible for subsidised training, you can still choose to enrol in the course but will need to pay the full (non-subsidised) fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Thank you for your interest in this course. To request further information click on Enquire Now. You can also contact TAFE NSW on 131 601 to speak with one of our friendly Customer Service Consultants.
Find out more about Applying and Enrolling
|FWPCOT2238||Cut materials with a hand-held chainsaw|
|FWPCOR2205||Follow WHS policies and procedures|
|FWPCOT2239||Trim and cut felled trees|
Basic chainsaw operator.
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
The Northern Parkway, Tuncurry
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure