Course Start Date
24.1 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
Turn your love for animals into a rewarding career with the Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing, which is the minimum qualification you need to work as a veterinary nurse. Be a valued member of a veterinary team and care for a range of pets including cats, dogs, horses, captive animals and farm animals.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through work placement and course work, you will learn:
- Veterinary clinic office procedures
- To perform radiography and pathology nursing procedures
- How to carry out surgical nursing duties and coordinate theatre routines
- How to nurse animals in your care
- Dental nursing procedures
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes you need to get ahead in this field:
- Communication to provide animal care advice to clients
- Collaboration and teamwork skills to support veterinarians - particularly in high pressure situations
- Strategies to remain calm in a crisis
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing the course will equip you with:
- A national qualification as a qualified veterinary nurse
- The skills needed to perform veterinary nursing duties
- The knowledge to assist veterinarians to care for animals in the workplace
GROW YOUR CAREER
Choose the right career pathway for you. This course allows you to specialise in fields like:
- Companion animals
- Pocket pets
- Captive animals
- Equine nursing
Further your career with a Diploma:
- ACM50212 Diploma of Veterinary Nursing (Surgical)
- ACM50512 Diploma of Veterinary Nursing (General Practice)
- ACM50412 Diploma of Veterinary Nursing (Emergency and Critical Care)
- ACM50312 Diploma of Veterinary Nursing (Dental)
With people increasingly treating their pets as fur-babies and spending more money on their care and comfort, employment opportunities are forecast to increase over the three years to 2022.
There are no information sessions currently scheduled for this course.
This is a full time, face to face course. You will need to attend approximately 14 hours of class, over 2 days a week, for 18 Months. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 10.1 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 11 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including mandatory work placement, self directed learning, research and preparation for assessments.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who want a career working as a veterinary nurse in a veterinary clinic or wildlife/zoo hospital.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Studiosity - online access to a real life tutor
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
This course is currently scheduled on Thursday and Friday from 8.00am to 4.00pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Enquire now for Semester 2 2020 and be notified when enrolments open.
TAFE NSW is open for business so to find out more information on this course including when it will start and how it will be delivered (face-to-face, in a virtual classroom, self-paced, online or a mixture), submit an online enquiry by clicking the Enquire Now button on this page. You can also call 131 601 during business hours* to chat with a member of our friendly customer service team.
* Our customer service team are available from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm AEST.
|ACMGAS307||Identify animal anatomy and physiology for animal care work|
|ACMGAS308||Communicate effectively with clients and team members|
|ACMINF301||Comply with infection control policies and procedures in animal care work|
|ACMVET202||Carry out daily practice routines|
|ACMVET401||Coordinate veterinary reception duties|
|ACMVET402||Apply imaging routines|
|ACMVET403||Perform clinical pathology procedures|
|ACMVET404||Perform practice office procedures|
|ACMVET405||Coordinate and perform surgical nursing routines|
|ACMVET407||Carry out medical nursing routines|
|ACMVET408||Provide nutritional advice and support for animals|
|ACMVET409||Provide specific animal care advice|
|ACMVET410||Carry out veterinary dental nursing procedures|
|ACMVET413||Prepare for anaesthesia and monitor animal anaesthesia and analgesia|
|ACMVET416||Assist with the preparation of veterinary drugs and poisons|
|ACMWHS301||Contribute to workplace health and safety processes|
|ACMGAS301||Maintain and monitor animal health and wellbeing|
|ACMGAS302||Provide enrichment for animals|
|ACMSPE304||Provide basic care of domestic dogs|
|ACMSPE305||Provide basic care of domestic cats|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Cudgen Road, Kingscliff
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure