Course Start Date
32.1 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- VET Student Loans Available
This qualification reflects the roles of flight crew personnel performing normal and emergency commercial pilot duties in support of commercial or Defence aviation flight operations.
Flight crew duties include applying technical and non-technical aviation skills and knowledge to a wide range of air transport operations, including passenger, charter and cargo operations.
Individuals working at this level will apply knowledge and skills to demonstrate autonomy, judgement and defined responsibility in known or changing contexts and within broad but established parameters.
This qualification forms some of the requirements for certification as a commercial pilot by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) as directed by Civil Aviation Safety Regulation (CASR) Part 61 Flight crew licensing.
People seeking certification should check these requirements with CASA.
To register for an information session, head to tafensw.edu.au/infofest. Students who cannot attend the Information Session please make an online enquiry or contact us on 131 601 for more information about the course!
We are currently planning for a May 2021 commencement of this course. Please Enquire Now and we will contact you regarding the next steps in the application process for this upcoming intake. This would be easy to amend throughout the year.
This is a Full Time Blended course. You will need to attend approximately 8.60 hours of class, over 5 days a week, for 52weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 23.50 hours of other study per week.
Students are expected to commit to 32 Hrs per week of directed learning either on a TAFE NSW campus or at the flying school. Students attend 0900-1600 Monday to Friday. Students may be required to occasionally attend the flying school outside of these hours to take advantage of external factors such as weather and to experience flights at the start and end of daylight hours.
You may also be required to complete approximately 4.60 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, It is expected the student will review previous UoCs as the foundations and scaffolding to the successful completion of the course. Subjects include: Air Law, Navigation, Human Factors, Aerodynamics, Systems, and Aeronautical Knowledge. Approx. 5 hours per UoC plus an additional 5 hrs for AVILIC0001. Students will attend either TAFE NSW or the flying school 0830 to 1600 Monday to Wednesday (6 hours contact plus 1 hour lunch) & 0800 to 1600 Thursday & Friday (7 hours contact plus 1 hour lunch). Total of 32 contact hours per week over the 52 training weeks of the course.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- This qualification prepares the student to undertake external testing for certification as a commercial pilot by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) as directed by Civil Aviation Safety Regulation (CASR) 1998 Part 61 Flight crew licensing.
- People seeking certification should check these requirements with CASA. Licensing Regulations
- Students will be required to undertake a Medical examination prior to flying and will be subject to random Drug and Alcohol testing as an industry requirement.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
There are additional learning and study tools available for this course, including:
- Each learner, will on commencement be provided with a Training Plan. This Training Plan will be discussed and amended at regular intervals during the program and prior to enrolment in new units.
- As part of the student support TAFE NSW has both an aircraft utilisation and flight cancelation monitoring framework and a student flight hour progression monitoring system. There is a weekly cadence to these reports.
- As part of the students induction into TAFE NSW they will attend a session on student support services. These services include learning support and personal counselling. Link to Student services
- Each student will also receive a TAFE NSW aviation specific induction booklet which includes information on learner support.
- If a learner does not reach the required competencies in a TAFE NSW or CASA assessment, including a resubmission or resit; they will be required to participate in an individual training plan agreement which will provide in writing the steps required to ensure academic standards are met and competencies demonstrated. This training plan agreement will be signed by both TAFE and the student.
- If the learner does not reach the required competence when undertaking a second attempt of a TAFE NSW or CASA assessment.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
To keep you safe while studying, some of our face to face classes may be replaced with online or connected learning. We have also modified our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. As restrictions ease, the way you attend your class may change again. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, due to the impacts of COVID-19 there may be a delay or modification in being able to undertake these aspects of your course in the planned timeframe. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Monday to Wednesday 9.00am to 4.00pm and Thursday to Friday from 8.30am to 4.00pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
Find out more about [VET Student Loans] - https://www.tafensw.edu.au/vet-student-loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed below. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
- You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- You will be provided with a student's handbook on the first day of the course which will give you a detailed cost of books, CASA Exams as well as flight test costs.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|AVIE0006||Maintain aircraft radio communications|
|AVIF0026||Implement aviation risk management processes|
|AVIF0027||Implement aviation fatigue risk management processes|
|AVIF0029||Implement threat and error management strategies|
|AVIF0030||Manage safe flight operations|
|AVIF0033||Manage aircraft passengers and cargo|
|AVIF0035||Manage human factors in aviation operations|
|AVIH0010||Plan a flight under visual flight rules|
|AVIH0014||Navigate aircraft under visual flight rules|
|AVILIC0003||Licence to operate a commercial aeroplane|
|AVIO0017||Manage disruptive behaviour and unlawful interference with aviation|
|AVIW0029||Manage pre- and post-flight actions|
|AVIW0032||Operate and manage aircraft systems|
|AVIY0033||Operate aircraft using aircraft flight instruments|
|AVIY0034||Operate in controlled airspace|
|AVIY0035||Operate in Class G airspace|
|AVIY0036||Operate at non-towered aerodromes|
|AVIY0037||Operate at a controlled aerodrome|
|AVIY0040||Apply aeronautical knowledge to aviation operations|
|AVIY0041||Apply the principles of civil air law to aviation operations|
|AVIY0046||Execute advanced aeroplane manoeuvres and procedures|
|AVIY0047||Manage abnormal aeroplane flight situations|
|AVIY0054||Control aeroplane on the ground|
|AVIY0055||Take off aeroplane|
|AVIY0056||Control aeroplane in normal flight|
|AVIY0058||Manage aircraft fuel|
|AVIZ0006||Manage situational awareness in aircraft flight|
|AVIF0023||Apply aircraft safety procedures|
Commercial aeroplane pilot ; Military aeroplane pilot
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Ultimo, Main Campus
651-731 Harris Street, Ultimo
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure