Course Start Date
13.8 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Library Information Services is perfect for those with an interest in literature and customer service. Providing you with a variety of skills, both unique to this industry and transferable, this course is an excellent starting point for a rewarding library career.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Information literacy - how to identify fake news
- Customer service
- WHS legislation
- Circulation and using computers and other electronic devices in a library environment
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Passion for literature, working with people and encouraging readers to get lost in a good book
- A patient and caring nature
- Strong customer service skills
- Good organisation and self-motivation
- An enjoyment of conducting research and using digital mediums
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate III level
- Library assistant
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate IV in Library and Information Services
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
There are no information sessions currently scheduled for this course
This is Full Time course. You will need to attend approximately 7.5 hours of class, over 3 days a week, for 36 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 6.3 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 1.5 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours including, private study, reflection, research and assignment preparation.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- Are from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Are school leavers, to mature aged people
- Retraining for a new career.
It is expected you will have used a library, in order to have an interest in the subject, and will need to have a desire to provide customer service in helping people to find information.
MORE ABOUT THIS COURSE
There is a new version of this course coming soon. If it is available before you complete your studies, you will be notified of your options and may be transferred to the new course.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
TAFE NSW provides the following services to ensure a supported and successful learning environment for all students:
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Student Support and Services
- Accessibility and Disability Services
- Personal Counselling
- Vocational Counselling
- Learning Support
- International Student Support
- Multicultural Support
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Wednesday from 9.30am to 2.30pm, Thursday from 9.00am to 2.00pm, and Friday from 9.30am to 2.00pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- Workbooks and resources are provided electronically. It will be your own cost if you want a hardcopy. There is an excursion to Sydney libraries, where the train fare will be your own cost.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|BSBWHS302||Apply knowledge of WHS legislation in the workplace|
|BSBCUS201||Deliver a service to customers|
|CUAIND202||Develop and apply knowledge of information and cultural services organisations|
|BSBLIB304||Develop and use information literacy skills|
|ICTICT203||Operate application software packages|
|BSBWOR203||Work effectively with others|
|BSBLIB201||Assist with circulation services|
|CUAEVP201||Assist with the staging of public activities and events|
|BSBLIB306||Process and maintain information resources|
|BSBLIB303||Provide multimedia support|
|ICPPRP397||Transfer digital files|
|BSBLIB305||Use established cataloguing tools|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
266 Maitland Road, Tighes Hill
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure