Course Start Date
23 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Education Support will get you qualified as an in-demand learning support officer or teacher aide in the evolving education sector. Learn how to support students with varying and additional needs to get the most out of study and make a difference in the lives of young people.
This is a fully government subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and practical course work you will learn to:
- Contribute to the preparation and implementation of classroom programs and lesson plans
- Identify student development opportunities
- Respond to behaviour and specific needs
- Apply curriculum
- Record and assess student progress
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes you need to get ahead:
- Well developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Patience, responsibility and compassion
- Passion for education and helping others to learn
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
- A nationally recognised qualification at certificate III level
- Teacher's aide
- School learning support officer in public and private schools
- Education support worker in community education services
- Home tutor
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your education support expertise to the next level with the:
- Certificate IV in Education Support
Launch your career as a teacher with a direct pathways to the Bachelor of Education primary or secondary
There has been demand for teacher aides since 2011 with significant continued job growth expected through to 2023. An anticipated 85,000 jobs will open over the next 5 years. Also in high-demand are teaching assistants in mainstream schools to support students with disability and learning difficulties. A qualification from a trusted educator like TAFE NSW will help you stand out from the crowd.
Discover the skills you need for the job you want at the TAFE NSW Information Sessions, 21-25 June 2021.
COURSE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
To be enrolled in this course, you are required to provide evidence prior to enrolment of:
- a current Working with Children Check (WWCC) clearance in your State, or qualification for an exemption. Information on the NSW WWCC application is available online at NSW Office of the Children's Guardian. Students residing in other States and Territories will need to provide TAFE NSW with an equivalent probity check (for example, ACT Working with Vulnerable People Check; QLD Blue Card).
- anyone engaging in child-related work (including student placements and volunteers) must have a current Working with Children Check (students/volunteers can obtain a WWCC for free).
This is an online course. You will need to complete approximately 18 hours of online study, each week, for your enrolment duration of 1 year.
You can increase the hours of online study per week to complete the course sooner.
You can also expect to complete approximately 6 hours of additional study each week outside of online study hours, including private study, assignment preparation, work experience and research
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- want to start a career in the education support sector.
- want to work with children or young people with recognised additional needs in a range of schools.
This course in Education Support is suitable as a career change or to return to work, as well as being suited to new entrants to the education industry.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
There are additional learning and study tools available for this course, including:
- documents and videos provided on the OLS for unit completion
- access to regular weekly webinars (live online classrooms) for teacher and peer support
- recorded sessions for all units of competency, which are provided to students on the corresponding Access your Learning pages through the Resources tab on the OLS.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
An individual training plan will be provided when you enrol in this course. Your plan will outline the recommended study timetable and detail your units and assessments.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You may continue with an enrolment into this course if you are not eligible for subsidised training, however the full training fee will be applicable. There are conditions to enrolment if you are a Temporary Visa Holder. To discuss your visa status and eligibility to enrol please phone 131 241.
For further information on fees and charges please see https://www.tafensw.edu.au/get-started-at-tafe-nsw/fees-information
Please ensure you also read and understand the associated fee policies and conditions related to withdrawal from a course, applying for a refund of fees, applying for a deferral to your studies and if you are behind in payment of instalments.
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- compulsory textbook: Supporting Education 3rd Edition by Karen Kearns (ISBN: 9780170419642) RRP $95.00. You will need to regularly refer to this book in order to complete your assessments.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Applying with us is easy, though the exact process does depend on your course and any prerequisites that go with it. Be sure to read all course information carefully to make sure it is the right qualification, location and study type for you. As you progress through the application and enrolment process you will be prompted to provide additional information.
For further information or assistance, call 131 601.
If you are interested in studying as a Trainee please call 131 601 for full details.
Find out more about Applying and Enrolling
|CHCECE006||Support behaviour of children and young people|
|CHCEDS001||Comply with legislative, policy and industrial requirements in the education environment|
|CHCEDS002||Assist in implementation of planned educational programs|
|CHCEDS003||Contribute to student education in all developmental domains|
|CHCEDS004||Contribute to organisation and management of classroom or centre|
|CHCEDS005||Support the development of literacy and oral language skills|
|CHCEDS006||Support the development of numeracy skills|
|CHCEDS007||Work effectively with students and colleagues|
|CHCEDS017||Contribute to the health and safety of students|
|CHCEDS018||Support students with additional needs in the classroom environment|
|CHCDIV001||Work with diverse people|
|CHCDIV002||Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety|
|CHCPRT001||Identify and respond to children and young people at risk|
|CHCEDS008||Comply with school administrative requirements|
|CHCEDS009||Communicate with parents, students and colleagues in Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander language|
|CHCEDS012||Set up and sustain individual and small group learning areas|
|CHCEDS024||Use educational strategies to support Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander education|
|HLTWHS001||Participate in workplace health and safety|
|CHCDIS007||Facilitate the empowerment of people with disability|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.Apply Now
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure
21OTE-018 S:01 Jan 2021 E:30 Jun 2021 D:180