Course Start Date
27 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
- VET Student Loans Available
The nationally recognised Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care builds on your leadership skills so you can operate as an educational leader or manager in the childcare industry. Design educational programs that nurture creativity and establish a safe learning environment for all.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Implement strategies for the inclusion of all children
- Establish and maintain a healthy environment for children
- Maintain work health and safety
- Nurture creativity in children
- Work in partnership with families to provide appropriate education and care for children
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- A passion for education and care
- High levels of professionalism
- High energy, commitment and dedication to your career
- Well developed communication and interpersonal skills
- A willingness to build leadership skills
- Patience and adaptability
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally accredited qualification at Diploma level
- A strong pathway to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Early childhood educator
- Lead educator
- Early childhood director
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education and Care (Birth-5) with TAFE NSW Degrees
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
This is a part-time evening connected course. You will need to attend approximately 4 hours of class, over 2 evenings a week, for 54 weeks via connected classroom. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 23 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 4 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including research, study and readings to reinforce training.
This course is offered by Connected Classroom (also known as Virtual Classroom). This is just like a regular classroom experience, but we use technology to bring everyone together through a group video call. You will be able to see and talk to your teacher and other students. Your teacher can be in one TAFE location and you can join the class from another TAFE location using video conferencing equipment, or on a mobile device or computer from your home or work. Teachers and students can present course materials, engage and interact with one another, and work in small groups together, all as though they were in the room with you. Sessions are hosted via Microsoft Teams.
Virtual study is time efficient, keeps you in touch with others of similar interests, allows you to participate from any location, and when needed allows the session to be recorded for later review.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course is designed for new entrants with no formal qualification in Early Childhood Education and Care or students working in the industry who already have a Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care . This course is tailored to meet the needs of domestic students who typically have little to no previous experience in early childhood. Students may have experience working with children, for example through babysitting, however this experience may not be in the context of an Australian regulated education and care service. Students who enrol in the connected delivery CHC50113 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care are usually seeking employment in Childrens Services or using the qualification as a pathway to further study. You can also apply for this course if you have your Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care and you will receive recognition for units completed and this may reduce your course time to 12 months.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Monday and Tuesday from 7.00pm to 9.00pm via connected learning (Microsoft Teams). This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
Further costs in addition to your student fees may be applicable for this qualification. These costs are to provide you with additional resources and/or Incidentals to support your learning. The following Incidentals can be sourced yourself:
- Textbook - The Early Childhood Educator for Certificate III - $103.00 approx.
- First Aid textbook 8th Edition - $18.50.
- Workplace clothing ie Broad brimmed hat, polo shirt and enclosed shoes - approx $60.00.
- Textbook The Early Childhood Educator for Diploma, Walker and Miller - $85.00 approx.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|CHCECE019||Facilitate compliance in an education and care service|
|CHCECE023-UNGRADED||Analyse information to inform learning|
|CHCECE002||Ensure the health and safety of children|
|HLTWHS003||Maintain work health and safety|
|CHCECE001||Develop cultural competence|
|CHCLEG001||Work legally and ethically|
|CHCPRT001||Identify and respond to children and young people at risk|
|CHCECE016||Establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for children|
|CHCECE018-UNGRADED||Nurture creativity in children|
|CHCECE009||Use an approved learning framework to guide practice|
|CHCECE005||Provide care for babies and toddlers|
|CHCECE026||Work in partnership with families to provide appropriate education and care for children|
|CHCECE024-UNGRADED||Design and implement the curriculum to foster children's learning and development|
|CHCECE007||Develop positive and respectful relationships with children|
|CHCECE022-UNGRADED||Promote children's agency|
|CHCECE017-UNGRADED||Foster the holistic development and wellbeing of the child in early childhood|
|CHCECE003||Provide care for children|
|HLTAID004||Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting|
|CHCDIV002||Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety|
|CHCECE021-UNGRADED||Implement strategies for the inclusion of all children|
|CHCECE020||Establish and implement plans for developing cooperative behaviour|
|CHCECE004||Promote and provide healthy food and drinks|
|CHCECE025||Embed sustainable practices in service operations|
|CHCECE011||Provide experiences to support children's play and learning|
|CHCECE013||Use information about children to inform practice|
|CHCECE010||Support the holistic development of children in early childhood|
|CHCPRP003||Reflect on and improve own professional practice|
|CHCMGT003||Lead the work team|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Capper & Howick Streets, Tumut
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure