Course Start Date
17.2 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
- VET Student Loans Available
This qualification reflects the role of counsellors, who work with clients on personal and psychological issues using established counselling modalities. They use communication, micro-counselling and interviewing skills and draw on varied counselling therapies to assist clients. At this level, the counsellor will be working in defined and supported counselling roles in established agencies rather than in independent practice.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
To register for an information session, head to tafensw.edu.au/infofest. Students who cannot attend the Information Session please make an online enquiry or contact us on 131 601 for more information about the course!
There are no information sessions currently scheduled for this course
This is a blended part time evening course. You will need to attend complete approximately 17.2 hours of study per week, for 18 months
You may also be required to complete approximately 5.1 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including additional reading and research, follow up take home activities and guided activities within the teaching session planning.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who are working in a service and using counselling skills means supporting people to make positive changes in their lives. If you are driven to help others, while also being passionate about your own career progression and future job prospects, TAFE NSW has a range of community service courses that will help you to reach our goals.
- Are you patient
- Do you have good communication skills
- Are you energetic and passionate about your community
- Are you able to work independently
- Are you professional and ethical
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
There are additional learning and study tools available for this course, including:
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Student Support and Services
- Accessibility and Disability Services
- Personal Counselling
- Vocational Counselling
- Learning Support
- International Student Support
- Multicultural Support
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
To keep you safe while studying, some of our face to face classes may be replaced with online or connected learning. We have also modified our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. As restrictions ease, the way you attend your class may change again. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, due to the impacts of COVID-19 there may be a delay or modification in being able to undertake these aspects of your course in the planned timeframe. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
Attendance is Tuesday afternoons/evening connected delivery using MS Teams. There will also be 15 x 2 day workshops over eighteen months in Armidale or Orange (Friday and Saturday) dates to be advised. Workshop participation is mandatory.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Blended learning provides students with access to a wide range of courses and training opportunities from a local TAFE NSW campus or from home.
Blended learning combines online, web/video conferencing, and workshops including:
Study using the TAFE Digital online learning platform.
Connected learning on campus
Connected learning enables you to attend your nearest TAFE NSW campus to participate in scheduled video conference classes with your teacher and other students located around the state.
Mobile training units
Mobile training units can be mobilised across many TAFE NSW locations and enable you to access teachers and specialised equipment and resources required on training days.
|CHCCCS019||Recognise and respond to crisis situations|
|CHCCSL001||Establish and confirm the counselling relationship|
|CHCCSL002||Apply specialist interpersonal and counselling interview skills|
|CHCCSL003||Facilitate the counselling relationship and process|
|CHCCSL004||Research and apply personality and development theories|
|CHCCSL005||Apply learning theories in counselling|
|CHCCSL006||Select and use counselling therapies|
|CHCCSL007||Support counselling clients in decision-making processes|
|CHCCSM005||Develop, facilitate and review all aspects of case management|
|CHCDIV001||Work with diverse people|
|CHCDIV002||Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety|
|CHCLEG001||Work legally and ethically|
|CHCPRP003||Reflect on and improve own professional practice|
|CHCCCS003||Increase the safety of individuals at risk of suicide|
|CHCCCS017||Provide loss and grief support|
|CHCDFV001||Recognise and respond appropriately to domestic and family violence|
|CHCMHS001||Work with people with mental health issues|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Cnr Browne & Harold Sts, Forbes
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure