Course Start Date
14 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
- VET Student Loans Available
The nationally recognised Diploma of Community Services will help you develop specialist skills for a rewarding community services career. Gain a solid foundation to build your leadership capability and prepare for roles in case work and management in this in-demand sector.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Develop, facilitate and review all aspects of case management
- Develop workplace communication strategies
- Undertake case management in a child protection framework
- Develop social housing enterprise opportunities
- Assess the needs of clients with alcohol and other drug issues
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Resilience and empathy
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- A non-judgemental nature
- Leadership and mentoring abilities
- Effective communication skills
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally accredited qualification at Diploma level
- A strong pathways to continue your studies and enhance your career opportunities
- Case worker/manager
- Community services worker
- Domestic and family violence worker
- Youth worker
- Family support worker
- Family services coordinator
- Program coordinator
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Diploma of Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Diploma of Youth Work
- Bachelor of Community Services with TAFE NSW Degrees
This is a full time blended course. You will need to attend approximately 12 hours of class a week via connected learning, over 3 days for 35 weeks.
You may also be required to complete approximately 23 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including self directed research and private study, assignment preparation, industry consultation, work placement hours, teacher/student consultation and tutorial support. You may also be required to attend additional workshops at campus or on MS Teams on the following Thursdays - 12/8/2021, 2/9/2021, 14/10/2021, 11/11/2021 and 12/5/2022. Additional dates will be confirmed by your teacher.
Your teacher will provide you with more information prior to your first day including an email the week starting the 5 July 2021 which will include a link to your first connected class.
This course will be delivered as a Connected Classroom (also known as Virtual Classroom). This is like a regular classroom experience, but we use technology to bring everyone together through a group video call. You will be able to see and talk to your teacher and other students. Your teacher can be in one TAFE location, and you can join the class from another TAFE location using video conferencing equipment, or on a mobile device or computer from your home or work. Teachers and students can present course materials, engage and interact with one another and work in small groups together, all as though they were in the room with you. Sessions are hosted on Microsoft Teams. This provides all the benefits of classroom workshops - working with other students, asking questions with immediate answers from teachers and peers and encouraging deeper discussions and learning - with the flexibility of online learning.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you have previously studied a Community Services qualification at a lower course level or are currently working in the Community Services Industry, this is a great next step in your career. This qualification will extend your skills and increase your knowledge of the Industry.
This qualification contains content which may have challenging and confronting material, for example: poverty, bereavement, aggression, abuse and neglect, substance abuse, mental illness. You need to be prepared for this. Firstly, consider if this is the right time for you to be studying or working in this area. Secondly, consider how you will seek support if you find these topics difficult. If you are concerned about this, you can contact our Counselling and Career Development Services to help you make the right course choice by phoning 131 601 or the following link: https://www.tafensw.edu.au/counselling-career-development-services.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 4.30pm to 8.30pm via connected learning. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|CHCDEV002-UNGRADED||Analyse impacts of sociological factors on clients in community work and services|
|CHCCCS007||Develop and implement service programs|
|CHCCOM003||Develop workplace communication strategies|
|CHCMGT005||Facilitate workplace debriefing and support processes|
|CHCDIV003||Manage and promote diversity|
|CHCLEG003||Manage legal and ethical compliance|
|HLTWHS004||Manage work health and safety|
|CHCPRP003||Reflect on and improve own professional practice|
|CHCMHS005||Provide services to people with co-existing mental health and alcohol and other drugs issues|
|CHCCCS004||Assess co-existing needs|
|CHCPRP001||Develop and maintain networks and collaborative partnerships|
|CHCCSL002||Apply specialist interpersonal and counselling interview skills|
|CHCCSM005||Develop, facilitate and review all aspects of case management|
|CHCCSL001||Establish and confirm the counselling relationship|
|CHCCCS003||Increase the safety of individuals at risk of suicide|
|CHCDFV006||Counsel clients affected by domestic and family violence|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Kirkham Street, Moss Vale
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure