Course Start Date
16 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
- VET Student Loans Available
The nationally accredited Diploma of Alcohol and Other Drugs equips you to provide counselling, referral and health promotion services to clients experiencing issues with alcohol and other drugs. Empower people to address their social and health issues and embark on their recovery journey.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Develop and review individual alcohol and other drugs treatment plans
- Provide interventions for people with alcohol and other drugs issues
- Use communication to build relationships
- Provide first aid
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Patience and resilience
- A non-judgemental nature
- Excellent communication skills
- Organisational and time management skills
- The ability to solve complex problems
- Collaboration skills
- Values of inclusion and diversity
- Empathy, patience and the ability to empower others
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally accredited qualification at Diploma level
- A strong pathway to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Alcohol and other drugs community rehabilitation worker
- Community rehabilitation and support worker
- Mental health outreach worker
- Drug and alcohol community support worker
- Outreach officer (alcohol and other drugs)
- Youth alcohol and other drugs worker
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with:
- Bachelor of Community Services with TAFE NSW Degrees
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
This is a full time, on campus course. You must attend approximately 16 hours of class. You may also be required to complete approximately 20 hours of additional study. This additional study could include private study, work placements and research.
The course will run 2 days a week for 1 year.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Monday and Wednesday with day classes. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|CHCADV005||Provide systems advocacy services|
|CHCAOD001||Work in an alcohol and other drugs context|
|CHCAOD004||Assess needs of clients with alcohol and other drugs issues|
|CHCAOD006||Provide interventions for people with alcohol and other drugs issues|
|CHCAOD007||Develop strategies for alcohol and other drugs relapse prevention and management|
|CHCAOD008||Provide advanced interventions to meet the needs of clients with alcohol and other drugs issues|
|CHCAOD009||Develop and review individual alcohol and other drugs treatment plans|
|CHCCCS004||Assess co-existing needs|
|CHCCOM006||Establish and manage client relationships|
|CHCDIV001||Work with diverse people|
|CHCMHS005||Provide services to people with co-existing mental health and alcohol and other drugs issues|
|CHCMHS007||Work effectively in trauma informed care|
|CHCPOL003||Research and apply evidence to practice|
|CHCPRP002||Collaborate in professional practice|
|CHCPRP003||Reflect on and improve own professional practice|
|HLTAID011||Provide First Aid|
|CHCCCS003||Increase the safety of individuals at risk of suicide|
|CHCPRT001||Identify and respond to children and young people at risk|
|CHCAOD005||Provide alcohol and other drugs withdrawal services|
|CHCDIV002||Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety|
|CHCEDU001||Provide community focused health promotion and prevention strategies|
|CHCMHS006||Facilitate the recovery process with the person, family and carers|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Mount Druitt (Advanced Entry)
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure