Course Start Date
10 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
- VET Student Loans Available
Be ready to work as a site manager on exciting infrastructure projects when you study the nationally accredited Diploma in Building and Construction (Building). You will learn on-the-job with your employer and in TAFE NSW simulated work environments. Advance your building and construction leadership skills and use your industry experience to become a licensed builder.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and practical course work, you will learn to:
- Manage construction work
- Plan onsite medium rise buildings
- Prepare tender documents
- Manage contracts and contractors
- Apply structural principles to low and medium rise construction
- Apply quality standards to the selection of materials and apply building codes
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes you need to get ahead in this field:
- People leadership
- Communication excellence
- Business acumen for the building industry
- Problem solving
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will give you:
- A nationally accredited Diploma qualification
- A great mixture of hands-on experience, theory and real world projects you can take back to site
- The opportunity to apply for your Building (general building work) licence
GROW YOUR CAREER
Continue studying at university level with a degree in construction or project management.
You will be able to advance your building and construction career in management roles such as:
- Construction project manager
- Site supervisor
- Contracts manager
- Construction manager
According to the Australian Government Job Outlook service, the number of people working as construction managers grew very strongly over the past five years and is expected to continue to grow strongly over the next five years to 2023.
There are no information sessions currently scheduled for this course.
This is a part-time day face to face course. You will need to attend approximately 10 hours of class, over 3 day a week, for 72 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 10 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 10 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, assignment preparation, work experience and research.(independent study, research, practice and assignments).
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
want to be a Building Site Manager/Supervisor, a Contract Administrator, a Estimator, a Construction Manager or a Builder in a small to medium-sized building business.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
To keep you safe while studying, some of our face to face classes may be replaced with online or connected learning. We have also modified our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. As restrictions ease, the way you attend your class may change again. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, due to the impacts of COVID 19 there may be a delay or modification in being able to undertake these aspects of your course in the planned timeframe. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Tuesday, Thursday from 5.30pm to 9:30pm and Wednesday from 5.30pm to 9:00pm . This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
Indicative cost for stationery, textbooks and including purchase of a calculator is $300.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|CPCCBC4001A-UNGRADED||Apply building codes and standards to the construction process for low rise building projects|
|CPCCBC4003A-UNGRADED||Select and prepare a construction contract|
|CPCCBC4010B-UNGRADED||Apply structural principles to residential low rise constructions|
|CPCCBC4013A-UNGRADED||Prepare and evaluate tender documentation|
|CPCCBC5001B-UNGRADED||Apply building codes and standards to the construction process for medium rise building projects|
|CPCCBC5002A-UNGRADED||Monitor costing systems on medium rise building and construction projects|
|CPCCBC5003A-UNGRADED||Supervise the planning of on-site medium rise building or construction work|
|CPCCBC5018A-UNGRADED||Apply structural principles to the construction of medium rise buildings|
|BSBOHS504B||Apply principles of OHS risk management|
|BSBPMG505A||Manage project quality|
|BSBPMG508A||Manage project risk|
|CPCCBC4004A-UNGRADED||Identify and produce estimated costs for building and construction projects|
|CPCCBC4012B||Read and interpret plans and specifications|
|CPCCBC5010B-UNGRADED||Manage construction work|
|CPCCBC5004A||Supervise and apply quality standards to the selection of building and construction materials|
|CPCCBC5005A||Select and manage building and construction contractors|
|CPCCBC5007B||Administer the legal obligations of a building or construction contractor|
|CPCCBC5009A||Identify services layout and connection methods to medium rise construction projects|
Project manager on medium rise building projects.
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
St George, Main Campus
Corner Princes Highway & President Avenue, Kogarah
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure