Course Start Date
18 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Design Fundamentals prepares you to start a career in the creative industries. Choose an area of specialisation such as graphic design, interior design, jewellery, production and entertainment design, visual arts and photography, ceramics, fashion design and textile design and printing.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and practical course-work, you will learn:
- Basics of design from the initial process
- Use colour in design
- Applying design principles to 2D and 3D forms
- Research and apply design industry knowledge
- Use drawing as a tool to express ideas
- Understand work, health and safety principles in the design field
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal qualities and skills you need to launch your career in this field, including:
- Passion for being creative
- Interest in drawing or graphics
- Keen to learn about the design industry
- Some experience is helpful, either at school or self-taught
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will give you:
- A nationally recognised Certificate III qualification
- A strong foundation to continue your studies and branch out into other creative fields like jewellery design, photography, interior design, fashion design, ceramics and more
- A portfolio of your work
GROW YOUR CAREER
After completing this course, you are ready to take on the:
- Certificate IV Design
The creative practice and learning process that is fundamental to this course will help you think outside the square and problem solve on a physical, digital and conceptual level.
To register for an information session, head to tafensw.edu.au/infofest. Students who cannot attend the Information Session please make an online enquiry or contact us on 131 601 for more information about the course!
To find out more about this course, meet our teachers and receive information about enrolment and next steps, attend an information session.
|Wednesday, 20 January 2021||10.30am to 11.30pm||Newcastle Campus, Building D, D Wing, Level 2, Room DD2.2|
This is a full time day course. You will need to attend approximately 16 hours of class, over 3 days a week, for 17 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 2 hours of other study per week.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- have an interest in design, such as drawing, photography, the use of software such as Adobe CC, and completing basic design tasks
- have limited skills and knowledge in design, acquired either at high school, or throug some previous study, or life experience
- have basic organisation, study skills, and computing skills, gained either through prior study, or life experience, in an increasingly technology-savvy world, and the need to be able to interact using these technologies as a part of day-to-day life
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
To keep you safe while studying, some of our face to face classes may be replaced with online or connected learning. We have also modified our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. As restrictions ease, the way you attend your class may change again. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, due to the impacts of COVID-19 there may be a delay or modification in being able to undertake these aspects of your course in the planned timeframe. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Tuesday, from 9.00am to 12.00pm, and Thursday and Friday, from 9.00am to 4.00pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- your own PPE (personal protective equipment), a USB/portable hard drive, pen, pencil, and notebook: $50.00 approx.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|BSBWHS201||Contribute to health and safety of self and others|
|BSBDES302||Explore and apply the creative design process to 2D forms|
|BSBDES303||Explore and apply the creative design process to 3D forms|
|BSBDES301||Explore the use of colour|
|BSBDES201||Follow a design process|
|CUAACD301||Produce drawings to communicate ideas|
|BSBDES304||Source and apply design industry knowledge|
|BSBITU302||Create electronic presentations|
|ICPPRP325||Create graphics using a graphics application|
|CUAPPR304||Participate in collaborative creative projects|
|CUAPPR301||Produce creative work|
|BSBDES305||Source and apply information on the history and theory of design|
Junior graphic design assistant
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
266 Maitland Road, Tighes Hill
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure