Course Start Date
32 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Design Fundamentals prepares you to start a career in the creative industries. Specialise in your creative passion, get your foot in the door of the design industry, and develop the foundational skills to bring your artistic vision to life.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Utilise the basics of design from the initial process to completion
- Use colour in design
- Apply design principles to 2D and 3D forms
- Research and apply design industry knowledge
- Use drawing as a tool to express ideas
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Enthusiasm for design and creativity
- A passion to enter the design industry
- The ability to take direction
- A collaborative team player spirit
- Good communication skills
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised Certificate III qualification
- A strong pathway to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Assistant designer
- Creative retail
- Junior designer
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate IV Design
- Diploma of Graphic Design
- Advanced Diploma of Graphic Design
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
To find out more about this course, meet our teachers and receive information about enrolment and next steps, attend an information session.
|Thursday 27 May 2021||6:00pm-7:00pm||More Information|
|Thursday 10 June 2021||6:00pm-7:00pm||More Information|
|Thursday 17 June 2021||6:00pm-7:00pm||More Information|
|Thursday 24 June 2021||6:00pm-7:00pm||More Information|
This is a full time, face to face course. You will need to attend approximately 18 hours of class, over 3 days a week, for 17 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 13.7 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 5.3 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including self-paced study, research and practice at home or on campus to adequately develop and refine your practical projects and assignments.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you have little or no experience in Visual Arts, this course will introduce you to the fundamentals of creating visual artworks. It is one pre-requisite into the Diploma of Visual Art. You will learn basic techniques of drawing, painting, printmaking, creative practice and photography.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
An indication of how your weekly timetable may look like is: Monday, Wednesday & Thursday 10:00am - 3:30pm with an additional studio day for self-directed access and studio mentoring available on request, Tuesday from 10:00am to 3:30pm. You will need to attend a minimum of 15 hours of class over 3 days per week for one semester.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 10:00am to 3:30pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
- A basic took kit will be required to successfully complete this course; it should contain plastic latex gloves, own paint brushes, own papers, etc. You will receive a material list from your class teachers.
- Please note our studio has firm WHS Personal protective equipment (PPE) criteria which includes closed shoes, no loose clothing or jewellery are to be worn. Suggested items are an apron and dust mask if necessary.
- Other PPE can include: hearing protective devices, such as ear muffs and ear plugs, eye and face protection, such as safety glasses and face shields.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|BSBDES201||Follow a design process|
|BSBDES301||Explore the use of colour|
|BSBDES302||Explore and apply the creative design process to 2D forms|
|BSBDES303||Explore and apply the creative design process to 3D forms|
|BSBDES304||Source and apply design industry knowledge|
|BSBWHS201||Contribute to health and safety of self and others|
|CUAACD301||Produce drawings to communicate ideas|
|BSBDES402||Interpret and respond to a design brief|
|CUADRA401||Experiment with techniques to produce drawings|
|CUAPHI302||Capture photographic images|
|CUAPPR301||Produce creative work|
|CUAPPR304||Participate in collaborative creative projects|
Junior graphic design assistant
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
St George, Main Campus
Corner Princes Highway & President Avenue, Kogarah
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure