Course Start Date
20 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Design Fundamentals prepares you to start a career in the creative industries. Specialise in your creative passion, get your foot in the door of the design industry, and develop the foundational skills to bring your artistic vision to life.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Utilise the basics of design from the initial process to completion
- Use colour in design
- Apply design principles to 2D and 3D forms
- Research and apply design industry knowledge
- Use drawing as a tool to express ideas
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Enthusiasm for design and creativity
- A passion to enter the design industry
- The ability to take direction
- A collaborative team player spirit
- Good communication skills
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised Certificate III qualification
- A strong pathway to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Assistant designer
- Creative retail
- Junior designer
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate IV Design
- Diploma of Graphic Design
- Advanced Diploma of Graphic Design
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
This is a full time, combination course. You must attend approximately 20 hours of class. You may also be required to complete approximately 10 hours of additional study. This additional study could include private study, work placements and research.
The course will run 3-4 days a week for 18 weeks.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course delivery is designed for people who are wanting a career in graphic design.
-The course is designed as a foundation and feeds directly into the diploma of Graphic Design CUA50715.
-The majority of the learners have just completed high school, while others are looking for a career change.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled for 3-4 days a week. An individual training plan will be provided when you enrol in this course. Your plan will outline the recommended study timetable and detail your units and assessments.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- You may be required to purchase clay at $30 a bag, or $10 per bag for recycled clay, plus some other art materials.
- Students are required to purchase the following resources prior to commencing the course: A4 Visual Arts Diary, USB, 2 x 2B Lead pencils, coloured pencils, set of 12 water colours, black fineliner, rubber and pencil sharpener, scalpel, double sided tape and a A4 folder with plastic sleeves to store drawings.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|BSBDES201||Follow a design process|
|BSBDES301||Explore the use of colour|
|BSBDES302||Explore and apply the creative design process to 2D forms|
|BSBDES303||Explore and apply the creative design process to 3D forms|
|BSBDES304||Source and apply design industry knowledge|
|BSBWHS201||Contribute to health and safety of self and others|
|CUAACD301||Produce drawings to communicate ideas|
|CUADIG304||Create visual design components|
|CUAPPR301||Produce creative work|
|CUAPPR304||Participate in collaborative creative projects|
|ICPPRP221||Select and apply type|
|ICPPRP325||Create graphics using a graphics application|
Junior graphic design assistant
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Campbelltown (Focused on Graphic Design)
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure