Course Start Date
16 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Screen and Media equips you with the foundational skills to explore a career in the creative entertainment industry. Gain a solid introduction to a range of screen and media fields, discover your artistic niche and be a part of the creative future.
FOCUS YOUR STUDY
Depending on your career goals and your preferred campus, you can choose your area of creative interest with these focus areas:
- Film and television
- Video and animation
- Podcasting and digital storytelling
- Film and screen
- Game design
Check study locations below to view your options.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Use lighting, camera and audio
- Apply design principles to digital 2D and 3D work
- Perform animation techniques, digital 3D modelling and construction
- Design games
- Draw to express ideas and stories
- Operate within work, health and safety principles
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- A design mindset
- Creative problem solving
- Teamwork skills
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate III level
- A strong pathway to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Animation, special effects or camera assistant
- Lighting technician (productions)
- Multimedia content author
- Editing or production assistant (film and television)
- Technical production assistant (radio)
- Game designer
GROW YOUR CAREER
Progress your screen and media career with the:
- Certificate IV in Screen and Media
- Diploma of Screen and Media
- Advanced Diploma of Screen and Media
- Bachelor of 3D Art and Animation with TAFE NSW Degrees
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
This is a full time, on campus course. You must attend approximately 16 hours of class. You may also be required to complete approximately 13 hours of additional. This additoinal study could include private study,work placement and research.
This course will run 3 days a week, for 18 weeks.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- Have completed year 10 with creative experience.
- Graduates from Screen and Media short courses.
- Existing workers who would like to develop and extend their skills or their qualifications.
- Predominantly these students have artistic and/or creative flare. This may be in the areas of creative writing, performance, music, photography or video camera operation or digital creativity.
- All student have an interest in screen based media and the video production process.
MORE ABOUT THIS COURSE
There is a new version of this course coming soon. If it is available before you complete your studies, you will be notified of your options and may be transferred to the new course.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
There are additional learning and study tools available for this course, including:
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Student Support and Services
- Accessibility and Disability Services
- Personal Counselling
- Vocational Counselling
- Learning Support
- International Student Support
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with Day classes. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- an external USB HDD or SSD for backups of their footage / projects and a set up headphones with a 3.5mm mini jack plug for use when editing and when using a video camera.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|BSBCRT301||Develop and extend critical and creative thinking skills|
|BSBWHS201||Contribute to health and safety of self and others|
|CUAIND301||Work effectively in the creative arts industry|
|CUACAM201||Assist with a basic camera shoot|
|CUACAM301||Shoot material for screen productions|
|CUADIG301||Prepare video assets|
|CUALGT201||Develop basic lighting skills and knowledge|
|CUAPOS201||Perform basic vision and sound editing|
|CUASOU203||Assist with sound recordings|
|CUAWRT301||Write content for a range of media|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure