Course Start Date
16 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
- VET Student Loans Available
The nationally accredited Diploma of Live Production and Technical Services will strengthen your production skills to take your career further in this exciting growth industry. Get set for a senior role behind the scenes in festivals, gigs, theatre and events, and learn how to effectively collaborate with musicians, performers and your production crew.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and live events, you will learn to:
- Manage bump-in and bump-out of shows
- Stage manage productions and events
- Mix live audio front of house
- Operate monitor systems and wireless audio
- Design lighting for live performance
- Lighting and vision design
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Make your mark in Live Production with these essential soft skills:
- Diligence and hard work
- The ability to give and take direction
- Work independently and as part of a team
- Meet tight deadlines
- Creativity and problem solving
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will provide you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at diploma level
Career outcomes and job roles:
- Front of house mix engineer
- Monitor engineering
- Stage technician
- Lighting designer
- Lighting operator
GROW YOUR CAREER
Go on to further study with a TAFE NSW live production pathway.
You can build on the skills and knowledge you gain in the diploma with the Advanced Diploma of Live Production and Management Services.
The Diploma of Live Production and Technical Services appears on the NSW Skills List as a qualification that meets the diverse needs of NSW employers.
According to the peak industry body, Live Performance Australia (LPA), in 2018 over 26 million tickets were issued to live performance events in Australia, generating a total ticket sales revenue of almost $2.2 billion. Live events are a growth area with an increase in 66% over the 10 years to 2018.
To register for an information session, head to tafensw.edu.au/infofest. Students who cannot attend the Information Session please make an online enquiry or contact us on 131 601 for more information about the course!
To find out more about this course, meet our teachers and receive information about enrolment and next steps, attend an information session.
|Online - Wednesday, 13, 20 and 27 January 2021||12.30pm to 1.30pm||Online using Microsoft Teams via the Google Chrome browser https://bit.ly/2RnRM66|
|Online - Friday, 15, 22 and 29 January 2021||12.30pm to 1.30pm||Online using Microsoft Teams via the Google Chrome browser https://bit.ly/2RnRM66|
|Campus - Friday, 15, 22 and 29 January 2021||10.30am to 12.00pm||Newcastle TAFE Campus, Building D, Level 1, Room 5 (D1.05)|
For Online Information Sessions please use Google Chrome to access Microsoft Teams as a guest.
This is a full-time day course. You will need to attend approximately 16 hours of class, over 2 days a week, for 27 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 6.7 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 14.8 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including researching emerging technologies, going to events and festivals and participating in a range of independent creative projects.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- want to work in the creative industries and refine skills in back-stage production, venue services and production management; focus on a technical area of specialisation (audio, lighting, costumes); apply skills across a range of project through planning, delivering and managing a final event; be trained to plan rehearsals, events and shows, as required of a manager in the live production area.
Students will be engaged in a combination of online learning for the compulsory theory components of the course and on-campus classes for all practical learning. With the relaxed COVID-19 restrictions continuing in Newcastle, we can ensure that you will be on-campus for 80% of your training.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
TAFE NSW provides the following services to ensure a supported and successful learning environment for all students:
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Student Support and Services
- Personal Counselling
- Vocational Counselling
- Learning Support
- International Student Support
- Multicultural Support
Detailed current information on these Support Services are made available at the Information Sessions. Additionally, every student is supported by a dedicated Student Services team at each campus location.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
To keep you safe while studying, some of our face to face classes may be replaced with online or connected learning. We have also modified our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. As restrictions ease, the way you attend your class may change again. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, due to the impacts of COVID-19 there may be a delay or modification in being able to undertake these aspects of your course in the planned timeframe. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Thursday and Friday, from 9.30am to 5.30pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|BSBCOM501||Identify and interpret compliance requirements|
|BSBWOR502||Lead and manage team effectiveness|
|CUAIND502||Maintain and apply creative arts industry knowledge|
|CUAPPM504||Manage bump in and bump out of shows|
|CPCCOHS1001A||Work safely in the construction industry|
|CUAINN501||Adopt an innovative approach to creating production elements|
|CUASMT503||Develop and maintain production documents|
|FNSORG501||Develop and manage a budget|
|BSBWHS501||Ensure a safe workplace|
|CUAIND401||Extend expertise in specialist creative fields|
|SITEEVT008||Manage event staging components|
|CUAPPM501||Manage small-scale live productions|
|CUALGT403||Set up and operate lighting cues and effects|
|CUASMT501||Stage manage productions and events|
Lighting technician, Sound technician, Stage manager.
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
266 Maitland Road, Tighes Hill
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure