Course Start Date
28 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
- VET Student Loans Available
The nationally accredited Diploma of Graphic Design strengthens your creative and technical design skills, deepens your abilities in visual storytelling and gives you the skills to step up to a career as a graphic designer, digital designer, visual designer or desktop publisher.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theoretical and practical course work, you will learn how to:
- Work through the design process from initial design to final product
- Plan and present client presentations
- Work to client briefs to meet expectations
- Produce digital designs using software
- Hand drawing and illustration
- Digital illustration techniques
- 3D design and construction
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal attributes that will help you get ahead:
- Expand your creative thinking
- Deepen your visual story telling
- Learn to be a critical thinker
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Diploma level
- A strong pathway to continued studies to enhance your career opportunities
- Graphic pre-press trades worker
- Graphic designer
- Visual designer
- Digital designer
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your creative career to the next level:
- Advanced Diploma of Graphic Design
- Bachelor of Creative Practice with TAFE NSW Degrees
The employment outlook for graphic pre-press trades workers and graphic designers is likely to be strongest in the advertising field, and as businesses continue to build online presences there will be demand for skills in designing specialised content for online uses.
This is a Full Time Face to Face course. You will need to attend approximately 16 hours of class, over 3 days a week, for 36 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 12 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 6 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, work experience and research, assignment preparation.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- Students will either come from working in industry in junior roles or have completed introductory educational design programs such as the Cert IV in Design. These students will want to upskill in graphics related design work and to develop greater fluency and creativity.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
To keep you safe while studying, some of our face to face classes may be replaced with online or connected learning. We have also modified our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. As restrictions ease, the way you attend your class may change again. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, due to the impacts of COVID 19 there may be a delay or modification in being able to undertake these aspects of your course in the planned timeframe. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Wednesday, Thursday 9.30am to 3.00pm and Friday from 9.30am to 4.00pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources:
Students will need access to a visual diary for sketches and research, portable hard drive and personal copies of Adobe Creative Cloud suite for practice
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|CUAGRD504||Create and manipulate graphics|
|CUAGRD505||Design and manipulate complex layouts|
|BSBDES403||Develop and extend design skills and practice|
|CUAGRD506||Develop graphic design practice to meet industry needs|
|CUAPPR503||Present a body of own creative work|
|CUAGRD502||Produce graphic designs for 2-D and 3-D applications|
|CUAGRD503||Produce typographic design solutions|
|CUAACD501||Refine drawing and other visual representation tools|
|CUAGRD501||Research visual communication history and theory|
|CUADIG401||Author interactive media|
|CUADIG403||Create user interfaces|
|CUAILL501||Develop professional illustrations|
|BSBDES501||Implement design solutions|
|BSBCMM401||Make a presentation|
|CUAPOS402||Manage media assets|
|BSBCRT501||Originate and develop concepts|
|CUAIND402||Provide freelance services|
|CUAACD503||Select and refine a specialised drawing technique|
Illustration, Design for Television, Design for Film, Art Direction, Theatre Design, Set Design, Costume Design, Props, Puppetry, SFX Make-up, Prosthetics, Entertainment Design, Event Design
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Foleys Lane, North Wollongong
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure