Course Start Date
27.5 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
- VET Student Loans Available
The nationally accredited Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production) will take your career in sound design, music production and distribution further in a billion dollar industry. Strengthen your technical skill to create albums, work on live shows and explore the world of audio post production.
SOUND YOUR WAY
The Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production) has two streams. You can focus on Audio Engineering or Electronic Music Production.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and practical course work, you will learn:
- Audio editing and mixing
- Audio theory and signal path
- Studio recording
- Music creation and arranging using music software
- Freelance business skills
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the talents and skills to get ahead:
- Curiosity to explore a range of music styles
- Creative thinking
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Dedication to honing your craft through practise
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will provide you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Diploma level
- Live performance
- Songwriting and composition
- Music production
- Music distribution
- Sound design
GROW YOUR CAREER
Advance your music career with the TAFE NSW music study pathway:
- Advanced Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production)
Australia is the sixth largest music market in the world. According to PwC, by 2023 Australians will spend a total of 1.791 billion on music, with a staggering 763 million spent on digital distribution alone.
By enrolling in a music qualification at TAFE NSW you will keep music traditions alive and create new, fresh sound for generations to come.
To find out more about this course, meet our teachers and receive information about enrolment and next steps, attend an information session.
|Tuesday, 21 July 2020||6.00pm to 8.00pm||Join Information Session Here|
|Tuesday, 28 July 2020||6.00pm to 8.00pm||Join Information Session Here|
Please note this link works best in Chrome or in the MS Teams app on a smartphone or computer.
FREE SAMPLE CLASS
Electronic Music Free sample class is on Tuesday, 28 July 2020 from 10:00am on MS Teams by clicking on this link: Join Session Here
This is a full time, face to face course. You will need to attend approximately 16 hours of class, over 3 days a week, for 33 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 12 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 10.5 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including study, practice, assignment preparation, and industry events.
This course is taught face to face on campus, with elements of connected classes online, with live teachers and classmate in an interactive webinar. If there are Covid restrictions there might be a larger percentage of online training. Either way, we will ensure you get all the skills, knowledge and experience you were after.
We typically offer 3 groups of classes where the timetable differs by the days of the week you should attend. For example Group A: Mon, Tue, Wed. Group B: Wed, Thur, Fri, Group C: Tue, Wed, Thur. Indicative timetables only. All students should attend classes for 16 hours per week.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
Electronic Music is the focus of this Diploma of Music Industry
Starting from scratch you will gain skills and knowledge at creating music of any style in the computer, using Ableton Live. You will build skills and knowledge in being a music producer, engineer, self-produced recording artist, and DJ. You may also progress to our Advanced Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production) focused on Electronic Music, to become a real professional, releasing records, doing live sets, and even creating a professional music video on your phone.
TAFE NSW Music at the Ultimo Campus is an Ableton Certified Training Center with two staff who are Ableton Certified Trainers.
For help please call Customer Service on 131 601.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
Studiosity ? online access to a real life tutor
Easy computing online short courses
Flexible learning centre
Access to tutorials on Lynda.com
Additional practice time on simulated workplace equipment
The Music section at Ultimo Campus has numerous Apple Mac computers, rehearsal rooms, pianos, synthesizers, guitars & drum kits. These facilities can be booked to use by enrolled students.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
To keep you safe while studying, some of our face to face classes may be replaced with online or connected learning. We have also modified our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. As restrictions ease, the way you attend your class may change again. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, due to the impacts of COVID 19 there may be a delay or modification in being able to undertake these aspects of your course in the planned timeframe. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Tuesday from 9.30am to 12.30pm and Wednesday and Thursday from 9.30am to 4.30pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
A computer (Mac or PC) with Ableton Live software is useful for your studies and available for a reduced price as a student. You will have use of these during classes. It also might be beneficial for you to have access to other gear outside of class, such as a keyboard controller.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|CUAPPR505||Establish and maintain safe creative practice|
|CUAIND402||Provide freelance services|
|CUACMP501||Manage copyright arrangements|
|BSBCRT501||Originate and develop concepts|
|CUASOU506||Create a final sound balance|
|CUASOU505||Implement sound designs|
|CUASOU503||Develop sound designs|
|CUASOU409||Mix recorded music|
|CUAMPF502||Incorporate interactive technology into performance|
|CUAMPF402||Develop and maintain stagecraft skills|
|CUAMCP502||Compose music for screen|
|CUAMCP501||Compose music using electronic media|
|CUAMCP402||Develop techniques for composing music|
|CUAMCP401||Develop techniques for arranging music|
Relevant job roles may include working as head live sound and studio technicians, stage and/or production managers.
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Ultimo, Main Campus
651-731 Harris Street, Ultimo
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure