Course Start Date
17 Aug 2020
25 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
- VET Student Loans Available
The nationally accredited Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production) will take your career in sound design, music production and distribution further in a billion dollar industry. Strengthen your technical skill to create albums, work on live shows and explore the world of audio post production.
SOUND YOUR WAY
The Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production) has two streams. You can focus on Audio Engineering or Electronic Music Production.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and practical course work, you will learn:
- Audio editing and mixing
- Audio theory and signal path
- Studio recording
- Music creation and arranging using music software
- Freelance business skills
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the talents and skills to get ahead:
- Curiosity to explore a range of music styles
- Creative thinking
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Dedication to honing your craft through practise
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will provide you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Diploma level
- Live performance
- Songwriting and composition
- Music production
- Music distribution
- Sound design
GROW YOUR CAREER
Advance your music career with the TAFE NSW music study pathway:
- Advanced Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production)
Australia is the sixth largest music market in the world. According to PwC, by 2023 Australians will spend a total of 1.791 billion on music, with a staggering 763 million spent on digital distribution alone.
By enrolling in a music qualification at TAFE NSW you will keep music traditions alive and create new, fresh sound for generations to come.
To find out more about this course, meet our teachers and receive information about enrolment and next steps, attend an information session.
|Tuesday, 21 July 2020||6.00pm to 8.00pm||Information Session|
|Tuesday, 28 July 2020||6.00pm to 8.00pm||Information Session|
|Tuesday, 4 August 2020||6.00pm to 8.00pm||Information Session|
|Tuesday, 11 August 2020||6.00pm to 8.00pm||Information Session|
This is a Online course. You will need to attend approximately 8 hours of class, over 3 days a week, for 33 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 17 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 11 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including study, practice, assignment preparation, and industry events. (independent study, research, practice and assignments).
PLEASE NOTE: We HIGHLY RECOMMEND you go to https://tafensw.info/ultimo-music-info-sessions for updates and more information
ELECTRONIC MUSIC PRODUCTION is the focus of this online Diploma of Music Industry
This course is taught 100% online with live teachers and classmates, so you do not need to be in the Sydney area. However, to qualify for the Smart & Skilled subsidy (the advertised discounted price), you need to live and/or work in NSW, have left school with a ROSA, and be a citizen/permanent resident.
Starting from scratch you will gain skills, knowledge and lots of experience creating music of any style in the computer using Ableton Live. If you want to become a music producer, engineer, self-produced recording artist or DJ, this course is perfect for you. You may also progress to our Advanced Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production) focused on Electronic Music at the Ultimo Campus in Sydney.
TAFE NSW Music at the Ultimo Campus is an Ableton Certified Training Center with two teachers who are Ableton Certified Trainers.
ONLINE OPEN DAY and FREE ELECTRONIC MUSIC CLASS
Log into our free sample class to gain skills and knowledge that will help your Electronic Music career. For the link please go to https://tafensw.info/ultimo-music-info-sessions .
Be sure to put it in your calendar for: Tuesday 28 July, 10:00am to 12:00pm
For help please call Customer Service on 131 601.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT"
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
This course is currently scheduled on Tuesday 1.30pm to 4.30pm, Wednesday 6.00pm to 8.00pm and Thursday 1.30pm-4.30pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
You will need to have an internet connection and an internet device (phone/computer) to participate in the classes. You will need to have access to a Computer (Mac or Windows) with Ableton Live installed.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Applying with us is easy, though the exact process does depend on your course and any prerequisites that go with it. Be sure to read all course information carefully to make sure it is the right qualification, location and study type for you. As you progress through the application and enrolment process you will be prompted to provide additional information.
For further information or assistance, call 131 601.
Find out more about Applying and Enrolling
|CUACMP501||Manage copyright arrangements|
|BSBCRT501||Originate and develop concepts|
|CUAIND402||Provide freelance services|
|CUAPPR505||Establish and maintain safe creative practice|
|CUAMCP501||Compose music using electronic media|
|CUAMCP401||Develop techniques for arranging music|
|CUARES502||Critique cultural works|
|CUASOU409||Mix recorded music|
|CUASOU505||Implement sound designs|
|CUASOU506||Create a final sound balance|
|CUAMPF502||Incorporate interactive technology into performance|
|CUAPOS402||Manage media assets|
|CUAMCP502||Compose music for screen|
|CUAMCP402||Develop techniques for composing music|
|CUASOU503||Develop sound designs|
Relevant job roles may include working as head live sound and studio technicians, stage and/or production managers.
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure