Course Start Date
01 Feb 2021
24.4 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
- VET Student Loans Available
The nationally accredited Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production) will take your career in sound design, music production and distribution further in a billion dollar industry. Strengthen your technical skill to create albums, work on live shows and explore the world of audio post production.
SOUND YOUR WAY
The Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production) has two streams. You can focus on Audio Engineering or Electronic Music Production.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and practical course work, you will learn:
- Audio editing and mixing
- Audio theory and signal path
- Studio recording
- Music creation and arranging using music software
- Freelance business skills
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the talents and skills to get ahead:
- Curiosity to explore a range of music styles
- Creative thinking
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Dedication to honing your craft through practise
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will provide you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Diploma level
- Live performance
- Songwriting and composition
- Music production
- Music distribution
- Sound design
GROW YOUR CAREER
Advance your music career with the TAFE NSW music study pathway:
- Advanced Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production)
Australia is the sixth largest music market in the world. According to PwC, by 2023 Australians will spend a total of 1.791 billion on music, with a staggering 763 million spent on digital distribution alone.
By enrolling in a music qualification at TAFE NSW you will keep music traditions alive and create new, fresh sound for generations to come.
To find out more about this course, meet our teachers and receive information about enrolment and next steps, attend an information session.
Tuesday, 8 December 2020 | 7:00pm to 8.30pm | Join us in Microsoft Teams https://tinyurl.com/y38ze4mb
This is a Full Time course. You will need to attend approximately 19.5 hours of class, 3 days a week, for 36 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 4.9 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 10.7 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, research, skills practice, voluntary work in related areas, networking and other related entertainment industry activities.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This qualification reflects a broad range of skills required to begin a career in the entertainment industry. It covers level 4 and level 5 skills in recording, editing and mixing music and creating sonic elements for media. It also covers entertainment industry and basic business skills. Successful students will have some existing experience in sound production and be able to read, write and have good numerical skills.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
There are additional learning and study tools available for this course, including:
- Tutorial support for students with identified LLN needs
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
To keep you safe while studying, some of our face to face classes may be replaced with online or connected learning. We have also modified our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. As restrictions ease, the way you attend your class may change again. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, due to the impacts of COVID 19 there may be a delay or modification in being able to undertake these aspects of your course in the planned timeframe. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
It is currently scheduled on Monday from 9.30am to 4.15pm, Tuesday from 9.30 am to 12.30 pm, Wednesday and Thursday from 9.30 am to 6 pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
This course includes all resources needed to complete the course however students must supply note taking materials (notebook & pen/pencils) and personal data storage devices such as USB or portable hard drives. Most students use a portable computing device during their studies and whilst this may be advantageous it is not a requirement to complete the course assessments.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW RecognitionIncidental Cost
- Student Association - $20.00
|Code||Name||Start Date||End Date||Census Date||Amount|
|21NIR00460||Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production)-UOS1||01 Feb 2021||02 Apr 2021||01 Mar 2021||$1,015.00|
|21NIR00465||Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production)-UOS2||19 Apr 2021||11 Jun 2021||03 May 2021||$1,015.00|
|21NIR00468||Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production)-UOS3||12 Jul 2021||17 Sep 2021||02 Aug 2021||$1,015.00|
|21NIR00471||Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production)-UOS4||05 Oct 2021||03 Dec 2021||01 Nov 2021||$1,015.00|
Enrolling with us is easy, though the exact process does depend on your course and any prerequisites that go with it. Be sure to read all course information carefully to make sure it is the right qualification, location and study type for you. Enrol and pay online via our secure payment gateway to secure your place. As you progress through the enrolment process you will be prompted to provide additional information.
A Unique Student Identifier is required prior to enrolment. To apply for your USI visit www.usi.gov.au If you cannot remember your USI or if you have forgotten you have one, please visit the USI Website for assistance in retrieving your USI.
For further information or assistance, call 131 870.
Find out more about Applying and Enrolling
|BSBCRT501||Originate and develop concepts|
|CUACMP501||Manage copyright arrangements|
|CUAIND402||Provide freelance services|
|CUAPPR505||Establish and maintain safe creative practice|
|BSBPMG522||Undertake project work|
|CUAPOS201||Perform basic vision and sound editing|
|CUAPOS402||Manage media assets|
|CUASOU409||Mix recorded music|
|CUASOU410||Record sound on location|
|CUASOU505||Implement sound designs|
|CUASOU506||Create a final sound balance|
|CUASOU507||Compile music for soundtracks|
|CUAWRT503||Write about music|
Relevant job roles may include working as head live sound and studio technicians, stage and/or production managers.
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.Enrol Now
Eastern Road, Quakers Hill
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure