Course Start Date
21 Jul 2021
24 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
- VET Student Loans Available
The nationally accredited Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production) equips you with the skill to create albums, collaborate with fellow artists and explore the world of audio post production. Take your career in sound design, production and distribution further in a billion dollar industry.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Edit and mix audio
- Perform and produce studio recording
- Utilise audio theory and signal path
- Create and arrange music using music software
- Manage freelance clients and business
- Work within copyright arrangements
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Creativity and problem-solving abilities
- Commitment to developing your skills through practise
- Team work and collaboration skills
- Punctuality and consistency
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Diploma level
- A strong pathway to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Skills and knowledge to start your own business
- Songwriter and composer
- Music producer
- Recording engineer
- Mix engineer
- Live sound mixer
GROW YOUR CAREER
Advance your music career with the TAFE NSW music study pathway:
- Advanced Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production)
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
Discover the skills you need for the job you want at the TAFE NSW Information Sessions, 21-25 June 2021.
To find out more about this course, meet our teachers and receive information about enrolment and next steps, attend an information session.
|Wednesday, 2 June 2021||12:30pm to 1:30pm OR 6:00pm to 7:00pm||Join information session|
|Wednesday, 16 June 2021||12:30pm to 1:30pm OR 6:00pm to 7:00pm||Join information session|
|Wednesday, 23 June 2021||6:00pm to 7:00pm||St Leonards Campus, Building P, Studio B|
|Monday, 12 July 2021||12:30pm to 1:30pm OR 6:00pm to 7:00pm||<a href="tafensw.info/join-StLeonards-filmtvsound-info-session"|
This is a full time, blended course. You will need to attend approximately 19 hours of class, over 3 days a week, for 17 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 5 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 14 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including guided training using class notes, private research and study assignment preparation. Students will also have access to recording studios outside of structured class time.
You will be required to attend 3 days per term. Your timetable will be issued 2 weeks prior to course commencement, and attendance pattern may change between Term 1 and Term 2. Please note attendance days and times are indicitave only and may vary depending which group you are allocated to and classroom/teacher availability. Please also note that some classes may be run online via MS Teams and the TAFE NSW Moodle online learning platform.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
You will build upon your existing skills and knowledge in sound recording, live sound and business for the music, film and television industries. You will get drastically better at recording musician in a professional studio, using music production software like ProTools, settting up and running live sound, mixing music live and in the studio, and how to become a music producer. Career paths include Studio or Live Sound Audio Engineer, Music Producer, Film/TV Location Recordist, Post-production Editor/Mixer, and more. Upon completion you may progress to Adanced Diploma.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 9:30am to 4:30pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
- You may be required to purchase a portable USB hard drive for storage of your files. Details of this will be provided by your class teacher.
- You will also be required to wear covered shoes when working in the studios.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|Code||Name||Start Date||End Date||Census Date||Amount|
|21STL00847||UOS 1-CUA50815-21STL-002-SSVSL||21 Jul 2021||10 Sep 2021||06 Sep 2021||$1,354.00|
|21STL00844||UOS 2-CUA50815-21STL-002-SSVSL||06 Sep 2021||15 Oct 2021||05 Oct 2021||$1,354.00|
|21STL00841||UOS 3-CUA50815-21STL-002-SSVSL||18 Oct 2021||26 Nov 2021||01 Nov 2021||$1,352.00|
Applying with us is easy, though the exact process does depend on your course and any prerequisites that go with it. Be sure to read all course information carefully to make sure it is the right qualification, location and study type for you. As you progress through the application and enrolment process you will be prompted to provide additional information.
For further information or assistance, call 131 601.
If you are interested in studying as a Trainee please call 131 601 for full details. (only if available as a trainee)
|CUAPPR505||Establish and maintain safe creative practice|
|CUACMP501||Manage copyright arrangements|
|BSBCRT501||Originate and develop concepts|
|CUAIND402||Provide freelance services|
|CUASOU507||Compile music for soundtracks|
|CUAMCP501||Compose music using electronic media|
|CUASOU506||Create a final sound balance|
|CUASOU406||Develop and implement sound plans|
|CUASOU503||Develop sound designs|
|CUASOU505||Implement sound designs|
|CUASOU501||Manage audio operations for outdoor events|
|CUASOU401||Mix live audio|
|CUASOU409||Mix recorded music|
|CUASOU504||Produce sound recordings|
|CUASOU410||Record sound on location|
Relevant job roles may include working as head live sound and studio technicians, stage and/or production managers.
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.Apply Now
213 Pacific Highway, St Leonards
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure